Sunday, August 28, 2011

The little sister

Zadie has been on a campaign for many months to get herself a little sister. Among the many reasons we've given her against it are that she'd have to share her room (she doesn't mind), she'd have to share our attention (totally cool by her), babies have gross poop (she'll help change diapers!), and it could be a boy (this initially threw her, but she has decided that would be an acceptable second choice). Everything we say, she has an answer for.

It's actually a little chilling how determined, single-minded, logical, and persuasive she can be to get what she wants. For example, from the morning of our camping trip until the time we got back, we were not without her imaginary little sister. Everywhere we went, something like this would go down:

Me: Okay, give me your hand so I can help you over the rocks.
Z: Okay, and I'll help my little sister with my other hand!

Literally, there was not a single thing we did, including going to the bathroom, that did not include the little sister. And no matter what, Zadie was helpful, taking most of the responsibility for tending to her, helping her do things, and making her feel better when she cried. She was indispensable in the care of this little sister. I can guarantee you, knowing my child, that this was 24 hours of "See, if you had a baby I could totally help, so it would really make it a lot easier on you. No pressure."

Anyway, the funny part was this -- even though I KNOW she was trying to convince me it would be no sweat to add another kid to our household, some of the examples she gave were utterly horrifying. To wit:

Z: Oh, I'm helping my little sister into her car seat. I have a booster seat, but she has the laying-back kind, because she's just a baby. And then a rattlesnake gets in the car and bites her and also bites me but you don't see it because you're driving.

It's like, WHAT?! Both my kids just got bitten by snakes and I'm so out of it I don't even notice? Yeah, that is a winning argument, kid.

Anyway, pray for me that she decides she wants something else, like a pony. World domination. Whatever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just make sure to keep an eye on the snake. She doesn't need a sister or second choice brother.
Brother!
BowSaw62

BC said...

Send her over here for a playdate -- Penny still likes her baby sister okay, except there is this one part we forgot to warn her about, which is that you have to be QUIET all the time when there is a baby in the house. She is totally over that and has suggested that maybe Beatrix could just sleep in the basement.

Anonymous said...

Well she has the super smarts and determined gene from
Her parents...so she has figured a creative way to show you. And remember how helpful she was with AJ? She would be a good sister

Loves Auntie M