So... I have a student who is very ill and maybe dying, and I'm not sure what to do. I mean, I know what to
do; I sent a gift to his hospital room, and if the worst happens, I'll send a card to the family, attend the service, and, if the family needs help, donate for the service. But I still don't know what to
do... I kind of hoped I could slide through thirty years of teaching without this ever happening. And all my kids are special, right? But this kid is pretty special.
2 comments:
That totally sucks. I think you'll find what you need to do. You should definitely give yourself permission to grieve.
Being a special education teacher, I once shared office space with a guy who worked with medically fragile kids in their homes. He did it for 25 to 30 years. As you can imagine, he went to a lot of funerals, and I don't think it ever got easy for him.
I'm sorry for you. Tell Reza to give you a hug.
Well, if anyone is curious, my student has made a near-miraculous recovery. The doctors don't know exactly how, but the fluid in his lungs has reduced, he's awake and talking and eating ice chips and being sarcastic. He has been moved out of the ICU and is in the regular-care part of the hospital. With any luck, he'll be back in school for his senior year.
Post a Comment