2016 has been sort of universally reviled, and for good reason. I'm not sure I'll ever quite stop being sad about David Bowie and Prince. I know celebrities die all the time, but until now, it had kind of been like old people (George Burns -- sad, but expected) or the occasional tragic young person (Kurt Cobain -- tragic but rare). But 2016 seems to have marked a point where a whole lot of artists who were icons to us Gen Xers are passing away.
Worst, 2016-wise, was the election of Donald Trump. I mean... I hate that guy. I hate that so many people in this country DIDN'T reject the hatred, Islamophobia, homophobia, misogyny, etc. that Trump represents. I fear the next four years.
On the other hand, on a personal level, we've had a pretty good year. Both kids were heathy (despite L's serious burn, which is now almost healed). Our jobs were safe, and we even both got raises! Our house has gained in value, slowly, and we were able to refinance this summer to a 15-year loan with a lower payment! (My main goal is to not have a house payment when we retire, and I pretty much made that happen with the refi.) Azadeh started behavioral therapy in January, and she has made slow, steady progress ever since. We've gotten her an aide at school (perhaps temporary), which has helped a lot. She moved up to the Junior class in karate and did a seminar in board-breaking! Lochlan started pre-school and thinks his teacher is awesome. He is also pretty much the sweetest child ever to have lived.
We also had some great trips -- to the Academy of Sciences, to Santa Cruz, to the redwoods for camping with the family, and to Eugene for Thanksgiving.
These are super-duper out of order. Enjoy.

















































1 comment:
What a great way to start a year!
All these pictures of the two greatest kids in the world.
Wanted to steal each and every one (photo only).
Love to all and the best of New Years!
BowSaw62
Post a Comment