Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Coffee is good!

Well, unless you don't have anything else in your stomach. I was dumb this morning and not really hungry for breakfast, but really wanted a cup of Naked Lounge coffee, so I went there with the thought in the back of my mind that I'd leave shortly and get lunch when I was hungry. But I kind of got distracted, went to Target and Tower Video, and by the time I got home, my hands were shaking so badly I almost couldn't prepare and eat my lunch. Duh.

At the coffee shop this morning, I saw John McCrea (of Cake fame) for the second time recently. I also saw Matt McCord, a drummer who's been in a bunch of bands around town. If you're local to Northern Cali, you might have heard of Tinfed. Anyway, it's funny, because I don't know John all that well -- I was introduced to him a couple times by mutual friends, but we never sat down and talked or anything, but I know Matt -- we used to work together, and we've attended a number of the same parties and whatnot. Still, neither of them noticed me. I have always been a very easily forgettable girl. Partly, it's that unless I'm in a group of really close friends, I tend to be a little shy and unobtrusive. Partly, though, I have also changed my appearance drastically and often over the years. My hair has been long, short, curly, straight, blond, red, purple, pink, green, "cherry cola" . . . I've had different styles of glasses frames every year, I've had a lip ring, nose ring, I've lost 40 pounds and had a breast reduction . . . I could go on, but let's just say that my driver's liscence photo looks nothing like me. Still, it's amusing, because I've always been out and about around midtown a lot, and known a lot of people that know other people, especially in the music scene. Almost anywhere we go downtown, I can point to people I know, and tell you their names and where I know them from. I just have to do it in hushed tones lest they notice the stranger pointing at them. I was excited to go to my ten-year high school reunion in September, because I was looking (I thought), pretty fucking hot. But with the exception of the friends I had stayed in touch with, hardly anyone else even recognized me.

Now I'm going to watch one or both of the videos I rented. Oh, incidentally, I made a "Butt Rock" playlist for my cousin Jame, who is exactly five years older than I am, and because I looked up to him, he really influenced my tastes early on. Well, I can remember the Iron Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne posters in his room (as he got older, he added a Heather Locklear), so I decided it would be fun to burn him a CD of music he probably no longer has. Actually, I really like it too. Here is what's on it: You Shook Me ACDC
Iron Man Black Sabbath
Cum on Feel the Noize Quiet Riot
Kickstart my heart Motley Crue
You Give Love a Bad Name Bon Jovi
Cult of Personality Living Colour
Dr. Feelgood Motley Crue
One Metallica
Welcome to the Jungle Guns N Roses
Shout At The Devil Mötley Crüe
Living on a Prayer Bon Jovi
Rock You Like a Hurricane Scorpions
Blaze of Glory Bon Jovi
Bark at the Moon Ozzy Osbourne
Girls, Girls, Girls Mötley Crüe
Sweet Leaf Black Sabbath
Breaking the Law Judas Priest

Okay, now I'm done.

2 comments:

Piggs said...

Even I, self-destructo, drinks coffee on a full stomach. Otherwise the effects are dire.

You left Anarchy in the U.K. by Megadeth off your playlist.

monkeygirl said...

Okay you are so not forgettable, it is just that no one can ever recognize you. You change your appearance so much, some may even argue that you are in the witness protection program...hmmm....

Have fun with Piggs and his people, no more stress dreams.

I hope the weird smell went away...

your roomie