Friday, July 09, 2004

Spiderman and other life lessons

So, I saw the new Spiderman film yesterday. Unlike many of my peers, I was never really into superheroes or comic books (TankGirl and JTHM being exceptions), but I've always liked two in particular -- Wonder Woman and Spiderman. I liked the first film and I enjoyed this one, too, but sometimes I think too much. For example, I picked up some life lessons while watching. "Sometimes you have to give up on your dream to do what's right," says Spidey to Doc Ock. I think this is an important lesson. I may add it to my daily affirmations. Incidentally, I think this may only be true for supervillains, as Spiderman ends up getting his dream in the end.
Also, Spiderman teaches us that littering in mass quantities is acceptable as long as the litter is biodegradable. This web stuff -- he uses it to locomote, and I figure he shoots a web at about every fifth building, then leaves it hanging there, probably shooting 50 yards at a time, and that doesn't even include all the web he shoots out to stop bad guys, slow down speeding trains, etc. It's thick and strong enough to hold people in it, so I imagine this is more than a little fine string of fluff -- this is some major web lying around the city. Think about it.
Also, renewable energy sources are inherently evil. if you discover one you may as well kiss your family goodbye and throw yourself in the river. Don't even try it.
Wear masks. If you happen to be near your best friend, elderly aunt, or whomever when disaster strikes, and you disappear but return seconds later in a mask, no one will ever suspect a thing. Just because you have roughly the same build as the dude in the mask, just because you return shortly after he leaves, just because your voices are identical -- these things will not arouse suspicion in your nearest and dearest. (The alternate lesson here may be to hang around oblivious people.)

I took my niece to the movie, and in the spirit of "devil-may-care" that accompanies hanging out with teenagers, I ordered our popcorn with butter. I haven't done this in ten years, and now I remember why. It's DISGUSTING. Why don't they just give you a bottle of Wesson and a straw? Blech. I'm not anti-grease, I'm just anti-things that taste only of grease and nothing else.

When watching the previews, I noticed that about three of them used the same piece of classical choral music. The "here comes some drama" one. You know, "Ah, AHH-AHH." One of the upcoming films seems to be about two scuba divers who get stranded in the ocean (Ah, AHH-AHH). The camera dips underwater to show a shark, then up to show two bobbing heads, down to a jelly fish, up to bobbing heads, down to, um, electric eels and up to bobbing heads, down to snapping turtles, bobbing heads and so on. It looks really stupid. Too bad the camera can't pan to the dangers of dehydration (Ah, AHH-AHH) since that'd probably get them first. Based on a true story about some dudes who went scuba diving one time. If there's a love story, I think we should throw rotten fruit in the theatre.
Another movie that looked stupid was one where some big actor tries to steal the Declaration of Independence because it has a secret Masonic code on the back that leads to treasure and various bad guys also want it . . . What cracks me up is that I read a summary of this film somewhere a couple weeks back and thought the review was a parody on all those conspiracy theory/DaVinci Code things out there. I laughed then, thinking "Oh, ha ha, that is indeed an over the top parody of this ridiculous fever for all things coded." Now, I'm worried.

Speaking of the DaVinci Code, I gave it to my dad for father's day, 'cause he likes the mysteries, and on Amazon they were selling it with "Angels and Demons" by the same dude. I gave Dad both books and he lent me "Angels . . ." yesterday, so I started reading it. I'm a little captivated by the mystery (although I think Umberto Eco did all this better twenty years ago), but some of the writing is just for shit. Here's an example: "The brotherhood endures," he thought, "tonight they will surface to reveal their power." As he made his way through the streets, his black eyes gleamed with foreboding. One of the most covert and feared fraternities ever to walk the earth had called on him for service. "They have chosen wisely," he thought. His reputation for secrecy was exceeded only by that of his deadliness.

My hairdresser, god bless her, is the slowest on earth. I'm not kidding when I say that it took 3 hours and 15 minutes for her to put a few highlights in and give me a trim today. She's a perfectionist, and she does a great job, so I'm not complaining, but I do kind of wish I didn't have to set aside an entire day for a haircut.

Vangyna did not pass smog. I'm not sure what to do, so I'll have to talk to the girls on Sunday. On the bright side, the guy didn't charge me, he just told me to get it fixed and come back. He also estimated that fixing it would cost "only $800 to $1200." Oh good! Let me just fish around in my couch . . . Hey wait! That's a lot of money! In fact, we only paid $1000 for the van in the first place. Bummer.

My mom is on vacation, so I'm watering her plants, and she has a stupid hose. It's coiled up like a telephone cord, and, like a phone cord, coils up on itself and tangles and gets shorter and shorter no matter how much you yank on it. Have you ever found yourself hunched over the phone, six inches from the base because the cord was too tangled to stretch out? It's like that.

I need to find a sneaky way to get all my baking supplies out of the house tomorrow so I can bake my roomie a happy 27th birthday German's Chocolate Cake. (If you're interested, it's not German at all, like from Germany. It was created by a guy whose last name was German, so when you buy the chocolate bar it's called "German's Sweet Chocolate.")

All for now, although there's always trivial shit flowing around in my brain cavity. See you soon. Oh, and I'm eleven elevenths done with summer school. Whoopee!

No comments: