Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Godfather

I've heard about the film all my life, basically, but I've never seen it. I finally watched it on Netflix, and I have a few observations.

Now I know where a TON of lines come from, particularly "take the cannoli."

I always thought the horse head was on the pillow.

I had no idea it was set in the 40s. I think I thought it was set in the 70s.

That thing people do when they're impersonating Marlon Brando? Dead on. It was seriously like he had dentists' gauze stuffed in his cheeks. Why did they do that? Was it meant to be some sort of speech impediment? A stroke?

I totally understand the Animaniacs better.

Mom had mentioned that the best part of the film was watching Pacino's transformation. But I didn't really know what I was in for. Pretty much every film I've seen him in has been from the last 20 years, and he's been a big-time scenery-chewer in all that time. I had no idea he could be quiet and subtle. Frankly, that part could have been played by Dustin Hoffman or Mathew Broderick -- think mild-mannered charmer. It was pretty impressive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's about it for the movie. Life around here has been good. Our bathroom is almost done, Zadie got a new haircut today, and the weather has turned quite cool.

The other day we were playing our usual blanket-related games (making forts, castles, etc.) and I suggested we switch to another blanket, as Z's down comforter was emitting tiny bits of down every time she jumped on it, and I kept getting them up my nose and mouth. I described them as puffballs. Somehow, this traumatized the girl, and she will no longer touch the blanket at all. She screamed her head off when I tried to lay her on it. I also had to talk her down earlier after I described her winter coat as "puffy."

So then I was at my insurance agent's office today. As I was getting ready to leave, the gal said they had coloring books, and I should take one. I did, and it wasn't until I was walking to the car that I realized it was about safety around dogs, and it was called "Fido! Friend or Foe?" I think if she's going to freak out about puffballs, I'm not going to tell her about dog attacks just yet.

She's been waking up really early, and in fact, it's backed right up into the middle of the night. It seems like she often tells me it's because she peed or has to pee (both of which mean it's already done). It's a pain to get up, change her, and put her back to sleep. On the other hand, it also feels like it's one step closer to either nighttime dryness or her getting up herself to pee and not needing a diaper at all. I figure that will still be at least a year (and probably more) away, but it's still kind of nice to think about -- an end to diapers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, I watched the Glee Rocky Horror episode tonight. Oh my gosh, sometimes I repress all the weekends I spent performing that, but it was all brought back tonight. I kept thinking things like "Oh, good tank!" and "Those shorts aren't right." But I liked the new arrangements, particularly for Dr. Frankenfurter's entrance song and Magenta's part of the Time Warp. If this all reads like Greek to you, just move on. It was fun for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I work for TheirToys.com and we were wondering if you'd like to review a product for our site? Give me a shout if you're interested :)

Thanks,

Britt

Anonymous said...

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you explain TheirToys to Z!

TNWINEB