IMG_0909
Originally uploaded by countmockula
My friend Warren organized Sacramento's first Kidical Mass ride just a few blocks from my house on Saturday. It was really fun. Older kids rode their bikes, lots of little ones were in trailers or seats, and quite a few were on training wheels, balance bikes, and various other wheeled geegaws. We all decorated up our nameplates first, and then we set off for a very short ride down M street. It was perfect weather and a fun event. Zadie wanted to spend most of the time before and after at the playground, which was fine, too. She asked a little boy if she could get on the back of the airplane very politely. Later on, some older boys (6 or 7?) were playing tag and arguing over who would be it. Although Zadie didn't address them or call out to them, I heard her announcing quietly "I'm it. Zadie's it."
This weekend has been sort of a bust otherwise. Apparently she didn't listen well at soccer, she hasn't been napping much so she's been very tired, and today she barely ate a bite. I think those bottom 2-year-molars are finally coming in, because it's unlike her to not eat. She's also been waking up at night again, and this morning she woke up at 6 and wouldn't go back to sleep. We even took her to Opa Opa because she has been interested in Greece lately, and I'm not sure she tasted anything at all.
Then this morning, we were planning to go to Apple Hill, but the sewer line backed up into the house. At first it was just threatening to overflow the shower and toilet, and then it actually did. Our bathroom floor was covered in brown mystery water. MAJOR props to Sweetie for cleaning it up (I was going to do it, but wanted to wait to change into grubby clothes until the plumber was gone, because I still had to pay him... or so I thought).
Anyway, the bad news is, we probably need some serious work done to the sewer line. The good news is, today's visit was a freebie! Seriously -- they can only charge for cleaning out the line if they clean out the line. But our only access was through the roof, and because of insurance regulations, he couldn't go on the roof. And he could have done a video inspection of the line, but he couldn't get the camera past the first turn for some reason, so he couldn't charge us for that. Nevertheless, when he left, he'd been here for almost two hours and our problem had gone away. (I'm sure he would never have violated any regulations that involved the roof, right? Even if he was a really, really nice guy. Wink wink.)
Azadeh has been really thrilled with one thing this weekend: she got new shoes. Mom brought them over, and they're sneakers, but red and sequiny, so they fit the Dorothy Gale from Kansas vibe without being uncomfortable or slippery. She did a little jumpy-dance over them.
I guess that's about it. She's a really affectionate kid, and it's really gratifying. She's always hugging me, sitting on my lap, or, as she did this morning at the farmer's market, pulling my shirt sleeve aside to "massage" my shoulder. Although we didn't get to go to Apple Hill, we had a good time today. I just felt bad because I had already totally talked up pony rides and face painting and we ended up folding laundry and mopping up sewage.
No comments:
Post a Comment