Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

The title of this post is, of course, a reference to Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, my undisputed favorite show as a kid. I played an episode for Zadie yesterday, and I was really nervous. If she didn't love it, I was going to be disappointed. But she did! Hooray!

There's been a lot of activity in my 'hood as the weather gets warmer, but nothing more exciting than what happened the other night. At about 9:30, two helicopters started circling really low and lighting up my street. They stayed for a long time, and eventually I went out to see what was going on. I couldn't tell, but my neighbor said there were eight cop cars at the end of our street and they had the three nearest streets blocked off. I listened to the police scanner for a while and couldn't tell what was going on (other than they were looking for someone on foot in my neighborhood, which was already obvious).

The next morning, I found out that a little Greek restaurant nearby had been robbed and the baddies had tried to escape via the street next to us. Again. Apparently they first knocked over someone's fence and caused a bunch of damage (like breaking potted plants), then one tried to run away via the house next door to the house that got crashed into before. The woman who owns it said she heard a racket and it sounded like someone was in her living room. She went to investigate and saw a large man with a gun tearing off her screen door and trying to get in the back door. She ran out through the front door only to see a bunch of police officers. A SWAT officer told her to get back inside and lay down, so she did. At that point, they released the police dog into the backyard. The guy leaped up onto a waterfall, shot at the police and the dog, and they returned fire. He jumped over the fence into the next yard, where another neighbor came face-to-face with him with the bad guy's gun raised! There were more shots fired, then the dog got him and they immobilized him. I'm still not sure whether they got the other guy, although it sounds like the manhunt was on until about 3:30am.

In better neighbor news, we had a potluck last night, and it was totally fun. I handed out just a couple simple invitations (on computer paper) and gave everyone one or two more for the people they might run into, and I said to just bring whatever, since we'd probably have it covered. Then yesterday we dragged out some chairs, a fire pit, and an ice chest. The neighbors brought a folding table, and soon a friendly handful showed up. We had enchiladas, lasagna, almonds, oranges, popcorn, a spinach-rice-cheese bake, butternut squash, pasta, roasted vegetables, and bread. It was a really nice spread. I made a baked pasta casserole and cookies. Everyone brought beer or wine and we just kept stoking the fire and enjoying the company. Several kids ran around and the adults mostly sat and gabbed. I got the fire pit as a birthday gift from Dad after admiring one at another party several years ago. Everyone loved it, and about three other people swore they were going to go get one. Actually, we don't use it often as a fire pit (it doubles as a barbecue, and we use it more for that), but it was perfect for last night. It was just a little chilly out, and the fire made it pleasant. We circled our chairs a little closer as the evening wore on.

My favorite thing was the cookies I made! I got the recipe online about a week ago and couldn't wait to try it. They're called salted double chocolate peanut butter cookies. They have cocoa powder and chocolate chips and you sprinkle a few grains of sea salt on top. I liked them, and Sweetie did, too. Then we put a plate out and I kept overhearing my neighbors position themselves over there and say, "What kind are these?" "Salted double chocolate peanut butter cookies." (One neighbor in particular had made it his job to remember the whole name and inform others.) "Salted?" "Salted." Then they would both eat a cookie. The salt sounds weird, but it really enhanced the flavor, and on reflection, I think I could have added even a bit more.

Anyway, that's good for now, I think. There's plenty of more to tell, but there's laundry to fold... sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So that's what all that commotion was about. I heard the copters, sounded like they were hovering on my roof. I am afraid to open the door to see what is going on.

One time (at band camp) I was on a 6 month jury duty stint. We had an extra long lunch one day so I came home. When it was time to go back to court, I opened my front door and about fainted. There were at least 10 cop cars in front of my house. They were parked all crazy like they just screamed up and stopped where they could. The doors were all open and there were about 6 cops in swat gear, pointing their guns under my car! They yelled "Get back in the house NOW!" Roger that, officer!

I called the court clerk and told her what was going on and that I was going to be late. The judge got on the phone and told me to do this: "Go back out there and tell the officer in charge that you are on jury duty and need to return to the courthouse." WTF! NO! I will not. They have guns pointed at my car which is right in front of my door!

Later I found out the bad guy had just robbed the bank and took off running. He ended up hiding under my car. What kind of idiot would pick that spot?

It could have been much different. If I had started to leave 5 min earlier, he could have very well pushed me back in the house and held me hostage. I wonder what the judge would have suggested if that went down.

That's why I don't peek out when I hear sirens or copters.

TNWINEB