Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Update-y

Well, I haven't posted much about the in utero kid, because there hasn't been a lot to tell. I did have a 6-month appointment, and it all went smoothly. His heartbeat sounds great. I had just a couple questions, and we made my next appointment. I'm supposed to go have another glucose test next time. The doctor said I should go drink the goo before my appointment, then go back for the blood draw after, and that I couldn't eat or drink anything in between. But that before, I could do whatever I wanted. I said, "So I can pound a couple Pixy Stix right before?" He perked up. "Sure! In fact, it would probably help, because your body starts processing them immediately, so you'd already be making more insulin before you drank the glucose drink." He seemed kind of stoked on the idea, but I assured him I wasn't planning to throw the test.

I'm pretty huge. I keep opening doors and forgetting where my belly is, so I'll open a door right into it! Sorry, kid! Until very recently, I could look down and see boobs, but not belly, and now I can generally see belly too. One funny thing is that the old wives' tale is that you carry girls low and boys high. But I carried Z VERY high, like, the belly extended horizontally from just below my bra strap. Whereas this guy is very low indeed. In fact, he has started to kick a lot, and about half the time, the kicks feel like they're below that little crease where the top of your panties sits.

I'm really looking forward to meeting him. I'm not nervous, but I do hope I have a better labor this time. In two weeks, I'll be in the third trimester. I don't know if it's because I'm older, because of our loss last year, or for some other reason, but it seems kind of miraculous and surprising that this has all been so easy and is progressing so normally.

I haven't done anything towards re-painting Z's room or buying baby stuff, but there's always the summer.

Oh! Last thing. We have reached the stage where I can see the baby moving from the outside. It is very freaky. But so far, I'm really the only person to have seen it, because whenever I call Sweetie or Z over, he stops.

No comments: