Friday, November 11, 2016

A drop in the bucket towards faith.

Yeah, so... just when I was thinking I had lost faith in humanity, I lost my wallet.

I came home and cancelled my credit cards, and started thinking about what else I'd have to replace. But in the meantime, we ate dinner, I cuddled the baby... and the doorbell rang.

A woman had found my wallet, looked inside for my name, figured out how to email me and did. Then, because it was a work email and the weekend, she just drove here to return it to me.

Hey, look: she's one woman, not representative of people as a whole.

On the other hand, although I don't believe in God, there have certainly been signs in the universe (signs from the universe?) before, often glaring neon ones*. I'm trying to learn not to ignore them.

So just when I needed some faith and hope, someone returned my lost wallet.

Thanks, lady.

Thanks, universe.

Hashtag still-mad-about-the-election-though


*Have I ever told you the story of my first wedding, wherein the processional music wouldn't play, the best man and some guests were left un-picked-up, the officiant had a UTI, and it was so hot the cake melted?




1 comment:

Laura Santos said...

Yeah, I remember it very well because it was the day I decided to say "yes" to marrying David. I can still remember sitting there thinking how important these kinds of rituals are; that you were making a mistake but that I wouldn't be making one.

It was also the day that your in-laws busted out some special wine that they reserved for only their drinking buddies and that you former mother-in-law got falling down drunk while I cleaned up.

I also remember thinking, "they are never going to make it to the wine country in that car."