Monday, December 21, 2020

Dreams & lights

 Lochlan asked me how you remember your dreams, and what dreams of mine I remember. 

I don't remember my dreams often -- usually I have a hazy impression right as I wake, and then it's gone. But it happened that yesterday, when he asked, I had had a lengthy and strange dream that I remembered well, and it had culminated in seeing my grandma and giving her a big hug. 

What I didn't tell him was that it looked like she had been crying, and she was a little shorter than I remembered (which is tough!), and I promised her I'd go to therapy. You don't have to keep promises to dream-grandmas, do you?

*~*~*~*~

We got the kids in the car to go looking at Christmas lights last night. I always like to, but everyone else has a more lukewarm response. Ant has bad memories of being dragged around for hours (although she seemed happy to go), Lochlan wanted the phone, and Kai doesn't like anything (although he also hopped in the car without argument). 

The "Fab 40s" neighborhood not far from us always decorates a lot -- a few streets coordinate the color of lights wrapped around their trees, and a few string lights overhead across the street. There are always a couple really stand-out displays, including one with multiple wooden cut-outs of characters from Star Wars, Spongebob, Trolls, and more. Last night one place had some sort of projection of Santa on a high window winking and waving. There was a vintage fire engine decorated up and "rescuing" a mannequin hung to look like he'd slipped while hanging up lights. There were enormous reindeer, a Santa in a vintage car, and luminaria. Along with us and other drivers, there were several horses with small carriages, a pedicab, a big hayride pulled by two horses, and a parade of classic 50s cars and trucks. It was nice. 

Well... we did have some complaints. People were walking to enjoy the display as well, and VERY few of them were masked. Kai eventually (read: after three blocks) decided he had a headache and wanted to go home. And of course, people were driving weird (like, letting you go when it was their turn, or not using signals and just SITTING there for no apparent reason). 

But overall it was pretty nice. 




No comments: