So, I should have known yesterday was going to be a bad day when they didn't have any fat-free muffins left at the coffee shop a full 20 minutes before I usually get there. Then I was reading the paper, and there was some mention of Robert Downey Jr. covering the Yes song "Your Move," ("move me onto any black square, use me any time you want . . .) and that piece of prog rock shit got stuck in my head.
I gave in and bought the Swiffer. It didn't change my life. Maybe because I got the generic Target version. The dry part was okay, except you still need to get out the broom and dustpan to pick up the pile of junk. It does cut down on that thing that happens at the end of the brush-stroke, though, when you kick dust up into the air. The wet Swiff was only okay, as it was rather impossible to put any pressure on the floor, so I ended up kind of stepping on it to add some muscle. What I wondered though, was whether I was swiffering or swiffing. Later, would I say "oh, I swiffered the floor today" or "I swiffed the floor?" I guess it depends on whether the "er" in Swiffer is a morpheme, that is, a syllable with its own meaning, or just a phonemic unit. Like, I mow the lawn with the lawn mowER (I actually have a gardener, it's just an example). I clean with cleanERs. I dusted with the dustER. But I also vacuum with the vaccuum and iron with the iron. Is Swiffer more like whole name of the tool or does it describe the action of swiffing? Swiff, to swiff, I swiff, he swiffed, she is swiffing, they shall swiff, the swiffer. One can only guess.
I got a copy of a CD that Jim McClain burned at the Gynas' most recent show, and it pretty much rocks. I mean, we're not guitar gods or nothing, but it captured the spirit of Gyna pretty well, and as Jim put it "You guys are fun, and you don't suck."
I also saw a marquee on the Colonial Theatre advertising "SPW Wrestlin." Now, the fine folks at SPW might argue that they deserve a "g," but I found it wholly appropriate, and probably wouldn't argue if it was spelled "rasslin."
I'm not unstressed yet, but I've made some choices that have helped. Like, I am trying to recognize that, despite the well-intentioned slogan "no child left behind," it is just not my job to drag them kicking and screaming. They've gotta put in some effort, and if they choose not to, I'm gonna take the field trip to education-land with the rest of the class, and leave their unwilling ass behind in the vice-principal's office. Also, I'm trying real hard to do what I feel like doing, not do what I don't, and not yell at myself about it later. I skipped two ballet classes this week because I needed some time at home to rest (I'm nursing a sinus infection), and didn't make either of them up today, and I'm obstinately not yelling at myself for having done so. Also, yesterday I completely dismissed my Weight Watchers points, but I decided I just can't have a day like that and come home and deny myself some Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt in favor of a nice glass of water. Fuck it. There's only so much I can do at once, and right now, my mental health is falling overboard. I need to concentrate on saving that. Everything else can be safely put on hold. Okay, Mockula out.
No comments:
Post a Comment