Okay, I know I've addressed this theme before, but sometimes it still really takes me by surprise. Yesterday I went to my uncle's house to "jam;" I suck, but so does my uncle, so if we just play quietly, then the two guys who are good can make most of the noise and we feel like we're making music! Anyway, Uncle e-mailed me yesterday and said that the guitarist's wife went to school with one of the Gynas. I figure it must be an anthropology kid that knew Drummergirl, since that's way more recent than Gynagirl's educational experiences. But lo, when I am introduced to "CJ," she says that it is indeed Gynagirl that she knows -- they went to high school together in Elk Grove. But she also says she recognizes me and is sure she knows me. We start poking through the past, this job? That school? But no, we can't pin it down. Until she mentions a guy named Jeremy, and out of nowhere I ask "Jeremy that lived with Shane R?" Yes! That's him! Well, I figure she's a friend of Jeremy's old girlfriend that I met at a party or something, and I start kind of reminiscing; "Yeah, I used to date Shane, and he and Jeremy's girlfriend Caroline," (she smiles in excitement and recognition) "and I used to hang out and talk, too. I never saw Shane again after we broke up, but I always really liked Caroline." I stop thoughtfully and she almost yells "I'm Caroline!!!" Oh!!! Man, what a difference ten years makes. She used to have perfectly straight hair, but I should have recognized her anyway -- she has these ice-blue eyes. And I think if she'd been introduced as Caroline, I wouldn't have gotten stuck like that, but for whatever reason I didn't equate "Caroline Johnson" with "CJ." Anyway, we reminisced a little, and it was cool to see her.
We're off to Point Reyes soon, (but our slobbering half-crazed Rottweiler is guarding the house), and apparently they have "a little thing you can plug in in the lobby" for internet service, so I expect you won't hear from me until Monday. Take care, all.
Mockula
1 comment:
Wacky. Small world. Is she still dating Jeremy? If so, I'd like to get a hold of his sister. We used to hang in the same circles in HS.
Post a Comment