Thursday, March 16, 2006

Lawnmower, Taco, Liniment, turn signals

How's this sound: I bought a lawnmower, because my husband is going to mow the lawn.
Does that sounds totally "I'm in my thirties" or what?

I mentioned the above to Drummergirl, and she said "yeah, I know what you're talking about; my Japanese dryer sings me a song at the end of its cycle that goes like do-do-do-do-doo-do-do-do-do..." I said, "Is that Taco's 'Puttin' On The Ritz?'"

I was at Target last night vaguely browsing the men's products (every once and I while I amuse myself by thinking that Sweetie might use man products like shaving cream), and I noticed that they are now carrying Watkins products. My grandma always used to have this stuff around the house -- sort of herbal Ben Gay-type products. Liniments and salves and ointments. I loved the way they smelled, so I was always inventing muscle aches in order to justify rubbing some of that stuff on. I'm sure my mom used to wonder why I came home smelling like ointment regularly. I almost bought some last night. I still might. And I did open up one jar just to sniff it; it took me RIGHT back to childhood.

I heard about a survey about why nearly 60% of people don't use turn signals when changing lanes. I tend to think people are basically good instead of basically evil, but sometimes I am driven to revise that theory by adding parentheticals. Like this: People are basically good (but kind of lazy). or People are basically good (in the sense that they don't actively want to cause harm to others most of the time). or People are basically good (but are misguided in many ways). or People are basically good (but not that smart). It makes me sad.

No comments: