Friday, August 24, 2007

Oh, are my pregnancy hormones making me irritable, Fucktard?

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

This post is hereby subtitled "Jeff the arrhythmic drummer part 52."

Okay, so I'm sure I've mentioned how difficult it can be to get simple concepts across to Jeff, particularly when he's stoned. Last night, we had this conversation.

Me: [plays bass line]
Jeff: Hey hey hey. What's the rule?
Me: Is it 'tell the drummer what we're playing'?
Jeff: Yeah.
Me: Well kiss my ass, this is brand new, so just give me a beat.
Jeff: But I don't know this one.
Me: [still playing] I know. It's new. We're writing it right now.
Jeff: But I don't think I've ever heard this one.
Me: That's right. It's an original. It's new. We're writing it. You said you wanted to jam, so here we are, jamming.
Jeff: It's an original? By who?
Me: [under breath] Fuck.
Jeff: Is it one of ours?
Me: Yes!
Jeff: Have we done this one before? I don't recognize it.
Me: No, it's new. It's ours. It's a goddamn original -- that's what original means!

Deep sigh.

So even though we've sort of established that we won't bring other people to band practice, Jeff does it every other session or so, usually friends that I think he wants to impress with the knowledge that he's a real drummer, with a real band. Because they're often there on the pretense that they're doing something else (looking at the deck was last night's excuse), but then he'll encourage them to have a seat and listen to the band. Ugh. (And just in case this point has been lost, if he wants to impress people, drumming for them should be very low on the list of what to do. He is a sucky drummer.) So last night, Dewey or whoever is sitting listening to the band. We finish up, and Dewey and Jeff go in the kitchen and are talking as we pack up. I'm a fast packer, so I sit down on my amp for a minute. I hear Jeff and Dewey talking, and I hear "she's pregnant, so she's dealing with all those pregnancy hormones..."

Well. If I had been dealing with pregnancy hormones, I wouldn't have been able to pretend to ignore that. No, I'd have ripped his eyes out and skull-fucked him. But I ignore. He's an idiot, and not worth it.

But then as I'm leaving, he comes out to say goodbye, and gives me this speech, like "I won't see you again until after school has started, so have a good school year, and I hope something in your spirit touches those kids, and this is going to be a challenging time, blah blah..." In light of the pregnancy hormones, the clear subtext I hear is "I know you're feeling irritable, so don't take it out on the kids." Well FUCK YOU. I don't generally get irritated with the kids because they're not retarded* potheads! If they were as hard to get through to as you, I'd schedule a meeting with their parents. Furthermore, I like them better than I like you!

And since this post, I realize, sounds so incredibly irritable, I'm going to ask for confirmation -- the three people who are closest to me and spend the most time with me are Sweetie, Mom, and Monkeygirl. Would y'all please step up and tell the world that I have not been irritable?** If anything, I've been a little weepy and tired, but not cranky. I was cranky with cause last night. And that's not pregnancy hormones, that's pothead retards.

* I don't often use the word "retarded," because I realize how un-PC it is, and I would never use it in reference to someone who actually has special needs. In this case, think of it in the musical sense -- a retard in music is a slowing down, and Jeff, who is a retard in music, slows us down.

** I realize that if they post comments saying "no, she hasn't been irritable at all," all it proves is that they might be too scared of my irritability to piss me off. But seriously, I swear I've been in a good mood.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have been in your usual good humor. Although I don't think that there is a judge in the land who would convict you if you decided to "go all hormonal on him." In fact I'm not sure that I want my unborn grandchild exposed to this "drummer" any more than necessary. MM

Count Mockula said...

Whew, good timing! I was JUST on this page, about to write a comment to the effect of "The silence on the issue of my irritability has been deafening!" Actually, Sweetie told me this afternoon that he didn't think I'd been cranky, either.

super des said...

I believe that it's not your hormones, it's just having to deal with fucktards. I would respond the same way, and I'm not pregnant.

Suzanne said...

I am ALWAYS irritable and never pregnant. You have the patience of a saint.

Anonymous said...

You have been phenomenally well spirited and in true form. You are in no way irritable, and I am not certain I have ever seen you so, even in the worst circumstances. This guy annoys me and I have never met him, but he is a jackass based on what I know. MG

** Sorry for delay I have not checked the blog for a couple days :)

Anonymous said...

Just for reference, when I was pregnant I was irritable all the time. It can come with the territory -- it can get better after the birth, though, because you may be just too tired to remember to be pissy :)