Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mexico week, the banquet, and the fair (yea, it's been busy).

Well, I usually tell you how our learn-about-a-country weeks have gone. To be honest, we haven't done much for Mexico. I mean, we had Mexican food on four nights, Zadie went to (normally scheduled) Spanish class, and we read a book about "the Mexican Cinderella." But that was about it. I may add a few things in the coming days, and I plan to do a write-up on Mexican foods on The Goodest Cooker (it's not there as of Saturday evening), but it's been a bit of a busy week.

One of the most fun things we did was yesterday. We went to school for the annual banquet. It's for the honors students, and it's a big potluck. Traditionally, the students organize it all (all I do is get a building permit, send a couple emails, pick up plates and stuff, and then show up to chaperone). They have sort of built on it every year -- it used to be just a dinner and dancing. Then they added a senior slideshow. Then they added "humorous teacher awards." Then there were performances. Then they added games. This year, the banquet ran from 5:30 to 8:00 before they turned off the lights and started dancing.

It's always a bit of a challenge to have Z there during the awards and stuff, because one of her favorite things to do is run away from me and sprint across campus. But during the dance? Shoot, I could probably wander off for a drink and come back and know where she is -- smack in the middle of the dance floor. In fact, a couple times she shooed me away! She scans the crowd, looks for a young lady who strikes her fancy, and then grabs the young lady's hand. If there are two next to each other, that's even better. If there aren't two, she might drag the first one around until she finds another one. Then, she twists, she jitterbugs, she jumps, and she wiggles her fanny until the girls giggle and pull away or she decides she's bored. It seems that she normally chooses young Asian ladies in flowered dresses, but she threw me off at one point by grabbing a cute little lesbian couple in pants. Even though the party was clearly ending when we left at 8:50, she was very sad to go. I think she would have danced for hours more.

Anyway, because it's a three-day weekend, I have a little extra time to shop and do my errands, so today I decided we'd do something fun. I checked my blogs, and there were two events that sounded promising. First was the Kids International Festival in Land Park. It promised dance performances, food, bounce houses, and more. Also, it was free. Then there was the county fair, which sounded rather like the state fair, but only $5. I debated, and ultimately let Z decide. She chose the fair.

It was $10 for parking, so next time I'll bike, but the weather was yucky today. I really thought it would be a lot smaller than the state fair. Frankly, I kind of imagined the Charlotte's Web fair -- mostly hogs and maybe a ferris wheel. But in fact, there was a midway, lots of food vendors (we ended up with crepes for lunch, actually), exhibits, art, animals, and fun little things for kids, like tractor-shaped tricycles. I bought the $18 for 20 tickets "super party fun-time pass" (or whatever) thinking that there was no way she could go through 20 tickets. Lesson learned: next time I'll buy the unlimited pass. She LOVES rides and could have continued going on rides for hours. We did, however, see a lot of other cool stuff, like a Chinese dance academy and a ballet folklorico troupe. We had a great time, stayed for about four hours, and then came home to make dinner.

I made a yummy taco night happen, and then we all sat down, cuddled under a blanket, and watched "Tangled" together. Under a blanket? I can hear you asking... Yes. Despite the fact that it is Memorial Day weekend and almost June, it is cold and rainy. Anyway, it was really nice family time.

No comments: