Tuesday, November 08, 2005

NaNoWriMo update, and friend news!

Okay, I got up to just over 10,000 words. I'm still behind, but less than I was yesterday. If I can keep up 3,000 words a day this week, I'll be at 24,000 words at the end of week two, which is damn near halfway there.

I got great news this week -- I'm totally beaming about it. I had a dream about my best friend from 4th through 8th grade, whom I haven't seen or talked to once since then. She was a great friend, and funny, and kind, and we spent untold hours being goofballs together. I mentioned the dream to my mom, and she asked whether I had Googled her. I had, but I didn't come up with anything promising. So mom (whose job, remember, included finding people), found her for me! We've now e-mailed back and forth a bit. She lives in the Bay Area with her husband, and we're meeting for lunch on Sunday! I could hardly be be more excited. If I hadn't just spent 2 hours nanowrimoing, I'd tell you all about her -- her endearing snaggletoothed smile, her sometimes inappropriate t-shirts (the turtle and the helmet is one I remember), her parents' house with all the cats, the sleepover we had where we froze someone's bra, all the Jolt Cola we consumed (all the sugar, twice the caffeine!), listening to "Darling Nikki" by Prince and her mom having a cow about it, playing water hose limbo in the street . . .

I often say that every really close female friend I've had since my high school friend Stacey was somehow modeled on her -- that there was a Stacey-shaped hole in my soul that only slightly eccentric, hilarious, beautiful, creative iconoclasts could fill (yo, Monkeygirl), but I'm wondering if Erinn might really have started this whole ball rolling, way back in '84.

Okay, got to go to bed.
Love and funk,
CM

No comments: