I'm still NaNoWriMoing (7,500 words to go and three more days!), so this will have to be brief.
Tuesday -- easy flight to PDX, rented a car to drive to Eugene. Nearly killed us both twice when attempting to put in the clutch on the automatic. Hit the brake instead, natch, which startled me so much I had to put the brake on with my right foot, too! Nevertheless, we made it safely to our hotel, wrote a little and went to sleep.
Weds -- walked to the bagel shop (mmm, bagels), walked around U of O campus extensively. It was gorgeous. Loved the library. Went to Smith Family Bookstore and only bought cards, canm you imagine! Then went to University Bookstore and bought books. Did a little more shopping, then went to meet SiL and littlest niece, where we arranged to get ramen with about half the family -- delicious, if slow service. Then some time at MiL's house, then to SiLs to talk, play a little bit of a trivia game, hang out in general . . . Piggs started the first of about a three-day video game marathon with our nephew. We all went to pizza at a place that was like a mellower Chuck E Cheese, with less games, but no annoying singing animals and better pizza. Had a great time watching Piggs smoke SiL at air hockey.
Thurs -- Thanksgiving! SiL made freah doughnuts and I ate too many, having trouble deciding between cinnamon-sugar and jelly. Went for a long walk through the neighborhood (including the cemetery and some really cool walking trails), then back to the house to make dinner. I was very pleased to be able to help this year, it made me feel like part of the family. Dinner was fantastic, and so were all the activities afterwards, like Pictionary. Much laughter ensued.
Fri -- we had breakfast at Metropol, a bakery with delicious fresh breads, with quite a few members of the family, then went back to the house and talked and said our goodbyes. By early afternoon we were on the road to Portland. Well, Hillsboro actually, where we met with the sassy redhead, saw her old new house and her new new house (which is being built), and then came back in to Portland for dinner at the Doug Fir, which was on the same lot as our hotel. We had an awesome dinner and drinks and dessert (T1 and Redhead's husband joined us), then crashed in our room. It was quite noisy, but I was so tired I crashed out. In the morning we met Redhead, T1, and Bowman for breakfast, then the three boys and I drove around shopping (comic and game stores for them, clothing, books and stationery for me) until it was time for us to hit the airport. We both got super-security searched, me randomly and him because he had an expired ID. It was kind of wierd -- I was really nervous even though I knew I hadn't done anything, but it was also fascinating watching them swab all our stuff for explosive chemical residue and stuff. Plus, I'd never been super-searched before and we had arrived in plenty of time, so I figured I'd have a story to tell.
Highlights include informing SiL that her MySpace profile said she enjoyed "swinging:" she didn't know it was on there because the kids had made it for her, and they didn't know the implications. Also, air hockey and the ribbing that ensued was a blast. I loved spending time with all my brand new relations, and the kids are absolutely fantastic. So smart, funny, sweet. I also loved all the awesome food I consumed -- too much by far, but it was worth it. Piggs is a great traveling companion, and we get along so well. Life rules. I have a lot to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment