I did a little more work on one of Monkeygirl's and my craft projects last night. Now they need a bit of embellishment, but they're looking good. They're going to be good gifts, I think.
So, I'm just wondering if I win a prize for having the world's longest.. That's right, I said ".". I had a four-ish day one, and then a couple day break, and today completes day fourteen. Still confused? I'm doing something that rhymes with "reading" but is a lot less fun. We're having a blood drive at school on Friday, and all the kids are like "Hey, Miss. Mockula, are you donating blood?" And I want to set a good example and support the cause, but I don't think I have any left!! I want to ask "don't you notice that I'm looking even whiter than usual?" But instead I'm answering that I will "try." Under the best of circumstances, I am sometimes too anemic to donate, and I can pretty much guarantee you that I won't get past the finger-stick on Friday.
I said a while ago that I was going to talk about cover songs. I used to hate cover songs. I remember railing against them when I was a teen. Of course, that's because when I was a teenager most of the cover songs I was hearing were, like, the Lemonheads covering Simon and Garfunkle. I'm still against the BAD cover song, and there are still plenty to choose from. I can hardly turn on the TV without hearing a robotic, emotionless Beatles cover or a thin and reedy Cat Stevens cover. But a good cover song can really open up a song to new interpretation and shed a whole new light on it. I am haunted by Tori Amos' cover of Bruce Springsteen's "I'm on Fire." The Sacre version of "Mad World" by Tears for Fears is, probably, better than the original. I love hearing Aretha Franklin do "Eleanor Rigby." Johnny Cash's covers make me cry. Patti Smith's "When Doves Cry" gives me chills. I love hearing cover songs that take the song and re-interpret them, add something, give it their own touch. I can't stand covers that are essentially re-makes note for note. I think it's usually not worthwhile for someone to cover a song that was really, really great the first time -- like, what are YOU going to do to improve on, say, Norweigan Wood? You can't. Anyway, that's about all for now. I'm tired.
2 comments:
I thought you were "beading" because that rhymes with "reading." But it's more fun than that other thing.
I love all of Tori Amos's versions of cover songs. I like (but not really) when someone like, say, Phil Collins does a cover of oh I don't know, the Supremes or Cyndi Lauper. Ack.
Goodness, I hope that you are OK. That sounds sort of scary, my dear.
Post a Comment