I haven't the faintest idea what the lyrics are to "Oh Christmas Tree" (or "Oh Tannenbaum" for that matter) but I can sing the emtire thing. Yeah, I know the melody, so I just wander around singing "Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree. Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree." We got ours today, thanks to Mom and Boompah. We haven't put it up yet, but it's there, and we re-arranged the living room furniture to accomodate it. Yay!
I just heard a Ghiradelli chocolate commercial with the Flower Duet from Delibes' "Lakme" in the background. I love that piece. I'm not a gigantic classical music fan, but there are pieces I'm totally devoted to, and this is one of them. And hey, I like chocolate.
I made a run to Home Despot for C9 lights, and they had exactly one pack of clear. If it's going to go that way, I thought, I'd better just get the clear ones! So I did, as well as another whole string (there were three left), and then I came home and put them up. I changed the fuse in the first strand (the one that was giving me pains the other day), and it lit up! I hung the rest of the lights with much moving of the wobbly ladder and more blasphemous cursing than is probably normally employed in the celebration of the birth of the baby Jesus. Especially since I have a peculiar form of Tourette's which causes me to come up with creative and profane middle names for the Savior. Good thing I don't believe in all that.
Which might lead you to wonder why I do all this Christmas stuff. There's a simple answer: I LOVE Christmas. I'm a total goober for it. It's not a religious thing at all for me (and I know some religious people would really take issue with that), but it's a family tradition, a time for us all to be together. It's full of nostalgia for the best times of childhood. It's a great time to establish traditions as a family with my sweetheart. It's got pretty lights and decorations. It smells like pine. It glows in the living room in the mornings. It actually feels special and different on Christmas morning. It has good songs, both secular and religious. It involves fudge and cookies. It allows me to give gifts to people and see them open them. It allows me to see my little cousins exploring their newest toys. People tell each other they love each other, sarcastic uncles and grown cousins included. There are fires in fireplaces. There's a poisonous plant that provides a good excuse to kiss people. I like a little nog. We get cards from people we don't usually exchange mail with. I pull out ornaments and tell stories about where they came from, who gave them to me or made them, or what they represent. I love so much of it. I don't much like shopping in crowded stores. I'm not crazy about Jingle Cats. I don't like how furiously busy I sometimes feel. But otherwise, Christmas rules.
Oh, and by the way, my sweetie brought me beautiful yellow mums in a nice arrangement tonight for no reason. Isn't he the greatest? Yay, sweetpie!!!!!
3 comments:
That was the best reasoning for xmas I ever heard. Seriously.
Me too. And I want to hear your creative curses some day. I am chuckling in anticipation.
As we just had a very similar discussion, I will simply offer my wholehearted concurrence and add.... I love that I have such a wonderful friend who has helped me weather so much horribleness and joy this year, were you, Piggs, and the rest of our troop not here I am not sure I would be. I know that things can only be brighter and perhaps this would have been better said at Thanksgiving, but I am thankful to have such wonderfulyl caring, sensitive, and thoughtful friends to surround myself.
Post a Comment