I wore my iPod and earbuds today (my brand-new sparkly pink ones from Monkeygirl), not with any music on, but because I had to go to Sears and I didn't want anyone to talk to me. That's right -- no music on, just the earbuds. I was worried I'd have to stand in line a long time (I didn't). Remember my recyclemmings post a few months ago where I made up a new word? Well, that word is now outdated, since we got weekly recycling as of last week. So my new new word/term is "white herring." It means wearing earbuds to deflect unwanted conversation. I toyed with "pod herring" and "bud herring," but I ended up preferring "white herring." So feel free to use it in conversation, as in "I pulled a white herring in the office today."
I love the term "you ain't just whistlin' dixie," but unfortunately, when people say things to me which I want to emphasize the truth of, I tend to forget to say it and say instead "Yeah!" or "I know, huh!" or "For real" or "no shit." But I remembered today; one of the gals at ballet heard that we might be officially selling the house this week (knock wood -- no, DO IT!) and she said "That must be a relief." And then came the phrase. So well-timed. So fitting. I even got a laugh from her husband, who was standing nearby. I LOVE outmoded old people phrases. I need to incorporate more into my conversations...
I realized a few posts ago I had "movies" in the subject line, then forgot to write about them. I saw "50 First Dates," and it was fine. I didn't think it was amazing, and I kind of hate Rob Schneider, but Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore were fun, and have good chemistry. It was no "Wedding Singer," though. Then I saw "Mad Hot Ballroom," and it was SO good. Go rent it right now, or bump it to the top of your Netflix or whatever. I LOVED it. I cried more than once, first when one of the teachers choked up about the kids turning into "young ladies and gentlemen." Sappy, I know, but I know JUST how that feels. Watching the kids learn, interact, spend time at home and with their families, talk about whether they like the opposite sex yet.... and I got so involved with the competitions, rooting for them, hoping all three schools could win, but of course they can't. It was great. I like documentaries more than the average bear, but I'm still discriminating. I'll get bored. But this was just an all-around good movie. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Next on the Netflix list (already shipped!) is Kinky Boots, which Monkeygirl recommended, and the first season of "Deadwood," which has come highly recommended by pretty much everyone who's seen it. Interestingly, whenever I mention it, people start cussing at me. Like, "Oh, Deadwood. Haha! Fucker!" I understand that the series has a great deal of cursing, and I'm okay with that, but I am not sure why it gives other people license to just curse at will. I have no problem with cursing whatsoever, but generally I prefer it in context, not just the random Tourette's-style "Fuck! Ass!" So feel free to curse at me in the comments, but in a sentence, please.
1 comment:
I like this white herring idea.
Post a Comment