Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ahhh, a holiday

How's it going, everyone?

The responses I got to my crafty vent were of the positive variety, and I have just finished one round of crafting and begun another. I enjoy it, really.

I am off for the Thanksgiving holiday, and I have five free days! Yay! We have plans on Thursday and Friday (and Saturday morning), but they are happy plans filled with friends and family and food, so I am looking forward to them.

The baby has been hysterical lately. We saw the neighbors in the driveway on Sunday, and instead of some more traditional greeting, like "Hi,' Zadie waved and announced "I'm beautiful!"

I'm going to have to stop counting words in her sentences: she had a nine word sentence today with a subordinate clause. (For the record, it was "Zadie read the book while I change your diaper." So she doesn't have a grip on pronouns yet, but whatever.)

Last night I was knitting* a hat for my great-nephew, who will make his appearance this spring. Zadie kept asking "What are you doing, Mama?" I would answer "I'm making a hat for baby Aidan." She answered "He won't like it." She repeated this several times, and finally I said "Zadie, you're kind of hurting my feelings. I really hope that baby Aidan likes it." I held it out so she could touch it and said "here, it's soft. Touch it." She stroked it for a moment, then said thoughtfully, "He will like it."

We went to a birthday party on Sunday for my cousin and Zadie had a blast. It was at an indoor bounce house-o-rama thing. I've never seen such bouncing. There were whole bouncy obstacle courses and bouncy slides. Zadie really wanted to go on the bouncy slides, but as far as I'm concerned, they're not really made for overweight adults. I climbed up four of five of them and was exhausted! Picture this: you're on an inflatable slope of about 70 degrees. On it, there are several "steps" made out of something like a PVC tube encased in slippery vinyl. Guess what happens? Your weight pushes the "step" into the slope, and the vinyl causes you to lose your footing and slip down (you have to wear socks). And of course, I was trying to navigate these things with a toddler under one arm who refused to be perched on top without me. But the plain old bouncy house was great fun. We bounced a lot. And then there was cake, and cake is awesome.

Hope you're all well. I'll do my traditional annual Thanksgiving post in a day or two. As always, I have a great deal to be Thankful for.



*I can't actually knit, but I have a Knifty Knitter loom, upon which I can make hats.

No comments: