Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

Brevity is the soul of wit. Also, it is something I am not good at. I'll do my best.

I am thankful foremost for my family. Without them, nothing else would be worth anything. And not just my beautiful daughter and loving husband, but my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws (who have become as much my blood as anyone born into my family), and all those second cousins and once-removeds whom I call cousins.... I love you all.

In hard economic times, I am thankful for my job. Not only does it pay the bills, but it gives me ample discretionary funds and great benefits. And blessings upon blessings, I actually do what I love.

I am thankful for the possessions that make my life so comfortable, like my home and car.

I am thankful for the beautiful art that fills my home, almost all of it made by friends and family.

I am thankful for the neighborhood I live in, with kind neighbors and many conveniences. I love the colors the trees are turning here -- it looks like a stained-glass interpretation of fire.

I am thankful for any good fortune that comes to my friends and family. In specific, I am happy to welcome to earth my friends Matt and CJ's new baby, and the 8-week gestation fava bean that will soon be a baby for my other friends who have been hoping for one for a long time. What joy!

I am thankful for change. Here's a special shout-out to two friends undergoing lots of change this year. MG -- I know you were hoping for a different outcome. But every change in plans leads you closer to the bright future I know is in store for you. Noodle, I know you, too, struggled with unexpected change this year. But look how much closer you have come to your true self and finding out what your dreams really are. I know you will achieve them.

I am thankful for good health.

I am thankful for food, music, books, and the other treasures that enhance our lives.

I just got up from nursing my baby to sleep, and I was thinking how grateful I am that those nearest and dearest to me have been respectful of my parenting decisions. I know of people who get constantly questioned and harangued and advised, and I am spectacularly lucky to have people in my life who trust me to make the best decisions for my kid.

I am thankful for having so many people to love me. I love you right back.

And just in case I missed anything specific, I know that I am unusually blessed. I look around at my life and I see an embarrassment of riches. I know it, and I appreciate it, and I am thankful for it all.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments: