Saturday, November 21, 2009

She's crafty

I'm questioning the wisdom of all the crafting I do for Christmas. In past years, I've made purses, tote bags, scarves, fridge magnets, soaps, candles, bath fizzies, bath scrubs and more.

With rare exception (like my mommy, who tries to spare my feelings) I never see anyone using this stuff. No one has ever come back a few months later and said "you know that bath scrub? That smelled great!" I've never seen a candle on display in someone's house or apartment. I've never seen a soap out in the bathroom.

And I admit -- some of the stuff I make sucks and doesn't come out as intended. Like the fridge magnets -- the pictures got so distorted you couldn't tell what they were (Mom displayed them anyway). But not all of it -- the soaps were good. The purses were (I thought) cute.

Every year I spend hours and hours (I don't even know how many) making this stuff and usually hundreds of dollars on the fabric, etc., and I wonder if I mightn't be better off just giving everyone a gift card somewhere.

I mean, I enjoy crafting, and theoretically it's the thought that counts. I typically put a lot of thought into things. Like, I chose the colors for one of my crafting materials this year based on what would look best with people's wardrobes and eyes and such. But if people receive this stuff, think "Oh, another piece of crap from Mockula," and promptly trash it, then it's not really serving them or me.

Any thoughts? And I'm not just looking for ego strokes. Be honest about whether this is worth my time.

3 comments:

Monkey Girl Crafts said...

Hey now I use both of my purses! They are good for dates and nights out, perfect for small wallet and lipstick! I lurve them. And as you know I use all the stuff you give me, because I also make all sorts of stuff. :) You can always make me stuff!

super des said...

I feel ya. All the stuff of yours I've seen *is* awesome. But maybe I'm biased, having had these sae thoughts myself. (I'm pretty sure people are sick of getting jewelry by now.)

noodle said...

I love the ninja pillow, and I still use two of the bags, and all the soaps got used. I understand if you don't have as much time as you used to, and so I could understand if you didn't want to do it anymore, or perhaps take a break from it. I think whatever comes from you is good stuff, lady. Whether you make it or not.