I know I'm a little early, but can you believe the "aughts" are on the way out? Not too long ago, I was thinking about the 90s, because there's a radio station locally that plays all 90s music. It wasn't all my music, but I know a lot of it, so I occasionally listen to the station. And some songs on there remind me of high school, others remind me of my first apartment, and still others make me think of my first marriage breaking up. I just can't freakin' believe I went from freshman in high school to divorcee in a decade!
So guess what? Now another decade has passed and brought with it a slew of amazing changes. In 2000, I was living on Freeport Boulevard in a rental with a roommate (Monkeygirl). We couldn't afford high utility bills, so we kept the heat down low and kept our fingers from freezing by holding them over candles. We had a "formal" at the house where people got crunk and passed out under my desk and on the couch. I started a web site (an early blog, really) called "Your Mama's Scene" and reviewed local shows. I went out to a lot of shows and got to meet some of my music idols, including Kevin Seconds, who was a fan of my site. After MG moved out, I went through a few more roommates, like the thankfully brief Mike and Guitargirl. In fact, it was during that time that we started the band, I bought my first bass, and I taught myself to play. We actually played out a lot and had a following, however small. At this time, I was working on my Master's, but I realized I needed a better-paying job. So I decided to substitute teach. At the interview, the woman (Billie Egolf, a name I can't forget) asked if I'd be interested in an internship to get my teaching credential. Just to be polite and seem agreeable, I said yes. I got the flyer in the mail the same day (in fact, an hour before) the interviews for the internship. I realized when I read it that it was a spectacular opportunity, so I threw myself together and went to the interview. Although I had to wait seemingly forever to hear, I did get in, and that fall (2000) I started teaching.
At the end of my second year, I bought a house. Around the same time, I got my credential. I then went back to finally finish my Master's. I had thought about doing it in Pedagogy, but settled on my true passion, poetry. Towards the end of that program, I met Sweetie. Although he was a librarian at my university, that's not how we met and there wasn't anything untoward about it. In fact, I didn't even meet him at school. I met him through our friend Leif. That same year, my mom retired, and we went on a trip to the Virgin Islands. I lost a toxic friend, but had a wonderful time with mom and loved the Caribbean.
Sweetie and I fell in love pretty quickly, and a little more than a year later, he moved in, on Halloween. In 2005, he asked me to marry him (while I was crying about a bad day at work). I had my great-granny's ring sized and we were engaged. It was a quick wedding, which took place at the county office on July 8, 2005 and only a few people attended -- our dear friend Bryan, who came from Portland, Monkeygirl, and my Mom and Boompah. Later that year, we had a reception once the weather had cooled down enough for people to enjoy it. Seeing all our friends and family together was wonderful.
That spring, I interviewed for a new job. I was sad to leave my old school, a middle school I loved, with a faculty and staff who were supportive and, cliche as it sounds, like a family. But the new job offered an opportunity to teach literature I loved and older kids, and I really wanted to make the move. I got the job and started that fall. I'll never have the same kind of faculty to work with, I'm sure, but I do love the kids and the curriculum. I see myself staying here.
In 2006, we decided to expand our family. We started working on it. At the same time, we wanted to upgrade our home. Mom and I had done a lot of work to my first house, and it was in good shape to sell. The bad news was that we found ourselves trying to sell right as the bottom fell out of the market and it sat on the market for a long time. We also didn't get as much as we hoped for for it. On the other hand, the good news was that we found a house we fell in love with, that screamed "home" to us, and we got it for a fair price.
After more than a year of pretty focused trying, we finally got the good news that the baby was on her way. A few weeks after, I went to BlogHer and got to meet many good (internet) friends, including Suzanne, whom I have been lucky enough to meet on several occasions. Around November, we found out the baby's sex and decided for sure her name was Azadeh. Everyone was thrilled for us. She arrived in March, 2008, and has been enriching our lives ever since. We had a scary birth, then some weight issues that included reflux and a milk allergy, but once all that was resolved, she set about showing us how amazing she was in every way. My mom has been her daily care provider, for which I am unutterably thankful.
Earlier this year our friend Bryan passed, and we miss the hell out of him.
Sweetie got tenure this year, which is very good. If he hadn't, we'd be looking around the country for new jobs and a home. I did get to see other parts of the country, though -- Boone, Iowa and Chicago, Illinois. Mom and Zadie and I visited my grandma and went to BlogHer.
I think we've gotten up to Eugene, Oregon about once a year, and I've gained a whole new wonderful family up there.
That doesn't cover everything, not by a long shot. But it sort of hits the big stuff. When the new decade rolls around, I have a lot to reflect on.
Thanks for reading. Sorry for going on so.
2 comments:
We're so proud and happy with you.
Great blog and attitude.
And when one finishes reading,
ZADIE FACE!
Great way to start a day!
BowSaw62
This made me cry. It is so incredible how much change you've gone through in the last ten years, and how much better things are overall. And thanks for the shout-out. You know I feel so lucky to know you!
Post a Comment