Sunday, December 26, 2010

I have a sick pumpkin.

On Christmas eve, Z woke up with a cough -- a really seal-barky croup-y cough. But she was happy and energetic, and with some crankiness aside, she didn't seem sick. The cough also didn't reappear during the day.

The next night, she coughed just a little, but yesterday all day she was kind of low-key, and she didn't eat much dinner (with rare exception, this kid eats more than I do).

Last night she woke up in the night again and crawled into our bed. She had a stuffy nose and a little cough, so I elected not to take her to the gym. She stayed with Sweetie and apparently cuddled the whole time I was gone (about 2 hours). That is VERY unusual for her. Still, she ate a lot for lunch (more edamame than you or I could probably lift), and seemed happy.

I got her to take a nap, and when we woke up, she was REALLY warm. We took her temperature, and it was over 103. I gave her some Tylenol, waited 5 minutes, and took it again. It had dropped below 103 (which is the magic "call the doctor" number), but I called anyway.

The advice was the usual "rest and fluids," so that's what we're doing. I got her favorite -- pink Gatorade -- and picked up dinner while I was out. She ate well again, and is now running around in her holiday dress.

I was thanking my lucky stars recently that she so rarely gets sick. I guess I should add a thanks for the fact that when she is, she's still pretty pleasant and doesn't seem to suffer too much.

It's funny, though; I was so excited about having a week off with no obligations that I literally spent part of my morning looking up snow play areas, finding the hours for stores where I knew I could get a cheap snow suit, thinking of where we could go in a day trip to the Bay Area, considering whether the zoo or Bounce Town would be more fun... And of course, most of those things are probably out now. I'm a little sad that one of those rare times when I have some free time to spend with her, we really can't do anything fun. Ah well.

IMG_2687
Sickypants on Christmas morning.

2 comments:

Laila @OnlyLaila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laila @OnlyLaila said...

Sorry to hear that she is not feeling well. I'm sure you can find some cool things to do indoors? Sending some get well vibes to Z!