I GOT MY CAR BACK!!! It's been in the shop for almost three weeks. I got the message at about 4:45, so I jammed downtown and got to the garage right at 5, then it took a few minutes to get all the paperwork and stuff done, but my baby is beautiful! The Jellyfish is perfect again! Then I was like, oh hell, what do I do with the rental car? The people at the body shop said that the rental place might give me a ride back, but that they might have closed at 5 too. So I jump into . . . (DUNH DUNH DUUHHHH) downtown Friday 5:15 traffic. Am I an idiot or what? I deserve to be flogged, but I got my punishment in the form of sitting on 16th street at Q and watching the light turn green, and red, and green, and red, with only one car in front of me, time slipping away . . . I thought that if I got to the rental car place at, like 5:20, maybe someone would still be there, but as each minute ticked by, I wondered whether there was even a reason for my madness, or whether I was going to end up at a darkened rental car place, trying to decide which car to ditch. Fortunately, they were there until 6, and gave me a ride back to my car.
And speaking of my stupid ass, I've done almost nothing for three weeks besides complain about the automatic. So what do I do when I get in the Jellyfish? Put my foot on the brake, turn the key, and wonder why it wasn't turning over (Hint: put your foot on the clutch, dingbat).
Okay, you know I'm not a religious person, but I was listening to one of those freaks from godhatesfags.com on the radio this morning . . . Seriously, I don't think I should be the final arbiter of God's word or anything, but I have a hard time believing that God (of "God is love" fame) hates anybody, besides perhaps Hitler, and maybe Satan. I just don't see God as a hater. And apparently these folks have now started web sites like godhatesamerica, godhatescanada, godsentthetsunami . . . and of course the woman is saying that God is laughing his ass off over the deaths in Asia. That he's gloating, basically. Like I said earlier, I'm not religious, I couldn't quote scripture or anything, but I think that the general idea is that God loves people, wants the best for them, and isn't, well, EVIL. I'm not sure, but I honestly think these godhatesfags people have got the wrong guy. Has anyone asked them whether God's messages to them came from playing Judas Priest records backwards? It's just weird. It's like going to a vegetarian recipe book and finding that every recipe starts with "cleave head in two, remove eyes and brain." Or like going to Buddhism.com and finding some story about Buddha smiting the shit out of a bunch of peasants. It's like, "are you guys sure you know what you're talking about?"
I won't rant too long, but Ahhhnold wants to pay teachers based on merit. Great idea. How shall we determine merit? Well, since any new testing system would cost a whole bunch of money, let's use the old one, the students' CAT-6 scores. Okay, great, so all the teachers in the fancy parts of town who teach GATE and have the world's most obedient and studious kids naturally get the highest scores, and down at the bottom are us Title One folks, special ed teachers, and ELL teachers. Well, since I don't want to make the lowest possible salary, I'm going to IMMEDIATELY go interview at a hoity-toity school with a bunch of upper-middle white and Asian kids. And my position at the Title One school? Well, it gets filled by the newest, most inexperienced, and possibly least capable teachers (being new and being bad are not the same, but I believe you do get better with experience). So, the kids who need the least help get the best teachers and the kids who need the most help get the worst teachers. Well done. Dickweed. Oh, don't forget, though, that some of the oldest tenured teachers who suck will hang out in their positions at the upper-middle class schools, making fat money. At the same time, some of the most awesome, dedicated teachers will stay in their Title One special ed positions and never make the money they deserve. Great plan.
Last night I dreamed that I was hanging out with the cool kids and I had a stuffy nose, so I kept trying to blow it out, and all I could get out at a time was a tiny amount of gum-eraser thick pink stuff, so I was trying to get it out subtly so that no one would notice.
I guess that's it. Bye.
No comments:
Post a Comment