from one of those "hard cases." A new girl with a major chip on her shoulder. I pulled her out of class last week and said "listen, I'm not mad at you, I'm not yelling at you, I'm here to find out why you're so angry." And she told me. And she had a right to be angry. I asked her if she wanted me to refer her for counseling, and she wasn't sure. Apparently I was the first person she'd felt comfortable talking to in a while. I said she could come talk to me anytime, but that I knew someone in our Healthy Start program that I thought she might like, and then I asked the HS woman to personally handle this young lady, rather than delegating her to someone else. I also promised the student that if she didn't feel comfortable with the HS woman that she didn't have to stay and could walk right out. I made sure HS knew that, too. Anyway, the student came up today with a big smile, hugged me, and thanked me. Apparently, it went well. There are some big rewards to this job sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment