Friday, August 26, 2005

Dreams, Ugly Photo Contest, Old Friends, Bad Mexican

I had a dream that I saw my grandfather -- it was my and Piggs' wedding day, and we were greeting our families outside. Grandpa arrived, and I went right to him and gave him a long hug. He was sad because he had fallen and gotten dirty and Grandma was mad at him, but I was just happy he was there. I know I'm stupid, but in a way it felt a little like actually having Grandpa there on my wedding day. I know he would have approved. He loved me spectacularly, and would have loved anyone who treats me so well.

Well, the Ugly Photo contest has been a RAGING disappointment. Only two people voted, so it was a landslide of 2 in favor of the gothic dancing photo. My husband recused himself because he says I'm always beautiful, and it would seem my mom has done the same. I kind of thought some of Piggs' friends would have stopped by, but apparently not. Oh well. Look for Gothic Insane Clown Posse Mockula on MySpace. Oh, and an unintended consequence has been that the photos have been widely viewed on Flickr and rated as "interesting."

I had coffee with an old friend yesterday, and it was a little sad -- here's someone I met when I was 13, but have never really sat down and had a long conversation with. But we had so much in common, and she was really easy to talk to. And she's moving away. I really hope her new home and new plans work out, and further that we stay in touch as we said we would. Sometimes you can just see how an opportunity for friendship hung around, parallel to your path, for, oh, 16 years, and you never picked it up.

Dude, I had two separate endorsements from friends I trust that Pancho's Mexican Restaurant on Broadway was good. I am going to look at them sideways next time I see them, because that place BLEW! Their tortillas were freshly made and good. The salsa and chips weren't bad. But here is my interpretation of the recipes for my combo platter and Piggs' tamale:

CHILI RELLENO

egg,
poblano chili (shave into a thin fillet, so that pepper is nearly nonexistent)
1/2 cup government cheese
red stuff

Lackadaisically assemble the egg, pepper, and cheese, and cook until cheese melts and egg sets. Put red stuff on top. Let stand for 30 minutes. Soak in water and serve.

ENCHILADA

1 tortilla
1 brick government cheese

Wrap brick in tortilla. Heat to melting. Let stand 30 minutes, until cheese has congealed. Pour 1 can chicken broth over whole meal and serve.

BEEF TAMALE (according to Piggs)

Corn masa

Pat corn masa into a rectangle. Wave beef over it. Serve.




It was DISGUSTING. It put us BOTH off Mexican food. I barely even touched my dinner, and I won't lie, I can put away a combo platter. I wondered how they got it out to us so fast -- like, within 2 minutes of when we ordered. The answer is apparently that they make it all at 6 am and let it sit back there until it's ordered. I won't say it made me ill, but I did have way more reflux than usual, including burping up little chunks of food, which used to happen all the time, but rarely happens anymore. Blech. No Pancho's! I can't believe they thought it was better than Los Jarritos. I think they're loco in la cabeza.

3 comments:

gynagirl said...

Dude, I LOVE Panchos. Sorry you had a bad experience there. I usually go before noon on the weekends & the food is always good down-home mexican... Maybe they have a different person cooking at night. I am surprised that you were able to eat there in the first place. I think they use lard in everything, that is why it's so good....

monkeygirl said...

Okay well sorry Panchos sucked, I have been twice and both times it was better then Los Jarritos, oddly never been for dinner. Oh Well...no more Panchos for Piggs and Mockula :(

Piggs said...

It would seem then that the meal we had was made sometime before noon last weekend...and kept in storage till last night.