Friday, April 27, 2007

Censorship


mushroom
Originally uploaded by galatea_.
Twice lately, the song "Caress me Down" by Sublime came on the radio. I noticed that they edited the line "And then she pulled out my mushroom tip." They just removed the last two words. Now, I'm kind of anti-censorship in general, but I have a specific concern about this. First of all, this is clearly a euphemism, not an actual naughty word or even a medically accurate term. Are we going to be censoring all euphemisms? That's going to make the censors' jobs very difficult, and make music even less listenable. But second, why is "mushroom tip" unacceptable when I hear the word "bitch" on the radio every single day? I don't even listen to rap -- on the rock stations they play songs with lines like "Hey, you're a crazy bitch." I have never heard it censored. Why is "bitch" okay but "mushroom tip" not okay? I don't understand. Is it a sexist thing? It's okay to call women names but not name men's genitals, even in a roundabout way?

Also interesting to note -- they did censor the Spanish. They blanked out "chinga," a word that would without question be blanked out in English, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because we are scared of penises in American culture. we can see uncensored women's fronts but not mens. monkeygirl

super des said...

Mushrooms are evil and should not be spoken of, especially their tips.