Thursday, April 05, 2007

Final day *sniff*

Well, we woke up and had breakfast at the Doug Fir. It was really yummy -- I had a Greek omelet. We got to sit right next to some serious white trash folks rockin' sweet mullets. Reza had to dissuade me from taking a picture of the reflective light fixture above our table.

We had an easy drive back to Eugene, where we made lunch plans with Maryam and found out our nephew Jacob was home "sick." We kidnapped him, took his phone (he's become very anti-social, taking calls while we're out to eat and stuff, so we held it hostage), and made him our slave. First, we went to my MiL's house to pick up some things Reza has had in storage, then we went to the Market of Choice to get sandwiches for tomorrow. It is the finest grocery store I have ever been in in my whole life. It has so many natural/organic/artisan/local/fresh foods, you'd think it was a natural foods store, but it's not. They have a stir-fry station, salad bar, deli, hot foods of various other kinds... They have a cheese counter that I couldn't get a photo of all at once, it was so big. They had chocolate available for tasting (I tasted 100% chocolate, but I doubt it really could have been, because it wasn't as bitter as baking chocolate, so it HAD to have some amount of sugar and cocoa butter in it -- not much, but some). In one area I was like "oh, soft drinks, but they don't have what I want." But then another aisle over, they had a bunch more kinds. And then two aisles over, there was an entire soft drink AISLE, including funky shit like Ting, Bubble Up, and Kombucha tea. In just one little section, they had Thomas Kemper, Stewart's, and Henry Weinhard's root beer. Okay, sorry, WAY too much attention to the Market of Choice, I know.
Market of Choice

Then we met Maryam at Toshi's ramen. SOOO yummy. Here is a picture.
Toshi's(Forgive the accidental product placement.)

Then we just ran Jacob around town, shopping at hobby shops and game stores. After Maryam got off work, we grabbed her and Maddy, and the five of us went to the mall. I got something I can't tell, because Mom reads the blog and it's for her for Easter. But it's cool.

Finally, we decided we'd all meet one last time for pizza tonight, so until then, we watched "Borat," (it was okay -- I get the parody but it just wasn't all that funny) and Reza and Maryam played video games. At 7, we went to Roaring Rapids pizza, which has video games, air hockey, a carousel... and pizza, of course. We played and talked for a long time, then made our way out to the parking lot, where we played and talked some more. We dragged out our goodbyes, because it's so hard to make them. It's funny -- I have a really wonderful family in Sacramento, so I'm not one of those people who wanted to find another family to glom onto, you know what I mean? It wasn't like there was some hole in my life that I felt needed filling. But as soon as I met the family here, I realized my family -- my real, true, heart's family -- had just doubled. Being an aunt and a sister-in-law and a daughter-in-law is a really, really cool thing. Anyway, it's really hard to leave. And I hate seeing Reza sad, and I feel like I'm making him leave, since he only lives in Sacramento because of me. Wow, my big travel vacation blog just got heavy. I'd better go to bed. Wish us luck on the drive home -- no snow, no construction, no accidents, and no speed traps.
At pizza

No comments: