Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The crib


IMG_2379
Originally uploaded by countmockula
Well, we're beginning our gradual transition to the crib. I'm trying to wean her from the boob at night so she doesn't want to nurse from 4am to 6:20 (which she currently does) and every time she wakes up in the night.

We're also moving slowly, every so slowly, to the crib. I figured Winter break would be a good time to lose some sleep if we had to, so on Friday, she's going in the crib for the first time. To get her used to sleeping in her room, I started sleeping with her in the bed in there last night. As of Friday, though, no more sleeping in the bed with grown-ups. I am determined. It is my will. She's going in the crib, and if she wakes in the night, then I'll pat her and shush her, but she's going BACK to sleep in the crib. If I take her back into the bed at all, it's called "intermittent reinforcement," or in baby terms "sometimes when I cry, I get what I want, so maybe I just have to cry longer and louder." If she never gets what she wants, the theory is she'll give up and just settle into bed. Man, I hope so.

I suspect we'll have to listen to some crying for several nights, but my parenting forum folks have reassured me that many babies actually get used to it quickly and sometimes even sleep better.

Wish me luck! Tonight's night two of the very gradual transition. I'll let you know how it goes when we actually put her in the crib.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

I'LL BE SENDING SLEEP THOUGHTS ZADIE'S WAY.

LOVE AUNTIE M

Suzanne said...

Lots of luck!