Sunday, December 28, 2008

Lovely vacation

This has been a great vacation so far. I spent the first few days of it preparing for Christmas -- making last minute goodies, wrapping, etc. Then on Wednesday, it was Christmas eve, and we spent most of the day with family, from a nice brunch at Evan's Kitchen (click on it to see the funny logo) to the evening at my grandma's house with almost my whole family (including the cousin I rarely see and her new baby). After that, we assumed we'd meet my dad and stepmom's whole family at their house, but it was just the two of them. We made it quick so we could get the baby home to bed. It was a nice, mellow Christmas.

That night, we opened a present each, and I got my new Paul Frank Julius jammies! I slept in them, so when we got up in the morning, I stayed in my jammies to go over to Mom's house. Mom always makes pancakes and they make us coffee and fresh-squeezed orange juice. We opened a ton of presents, but then the baby got sleepy, so we left a few unopened and headed home for a nap.

Later that day, we went back for a traditional Christmas dinner of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams, rolls, salad, and cranberries. We put Zadie into this death trap:
IMG_2462

... and during dinner she fell over headfirst, strapped into the seat. I'm not sure I've ever moved so fast to get her flipped over and unstrapped. Mom and Boompah decided to get rid of the deathtrap. We had a nice dinner otherwise. Then we opened a few more gifts and hung out for a bit.

The day after Christmas is a blur. We cleaned, put presents away, made a list for the thank-you notes, and Sweetie walked to the game store. It was a chore-centric day, but that's okay.

Yesterday we had a Dr. Who-a-thon! We watched several episodes with Leela the cave girl and one with K-9. We had chips, pretzels, bread, tapenade, four kinds of cheese (cheddar, herbed chevre, brie, and "drunken goat"), coffee with brandy, ginger ale, crackers, hummus, cream cheese with pepper jelly, Candy Cane Joe's-Os, chocolate candy, cookies, peanut brittle, mushroom turnovers, mozzarella sticks, raspberry-brie fillo thingies, and probably more that I'm forgetting. It's really as much about the snacks as it is about the show. I have to say -- of all my friends, I am probably the lesser Dr. Who fan. I watched a few episodes when I was a kid, but it didn't go much beyond that, and I've certainly never sought out the show as an adult. But since we've been having these Who-a-thons, I can see the appeal. I enjoy watching them. I really like Tom Baker -- he's got a funny comic timing. I get a kick out of it when he inserts himself into some situation with the simple explanation "I'm the doctor."

Zadie's been sleeping well. She still cries for maybe 20 minutes when going to sleep, but then she sleeps for ten hours or so -- eleven last night! I'm glad to see her getting so much sleep. At the moment, we're still battling daytime naps -- she'll sleep with me or on me, but if I put her in her crib, she just screams for an hour.

This morning I was feeding her bites of banana and waffle when she grabbed the waffle from me and decided to feed herself.

IMG_2508IMG_2509IMG_2510

3 comments:

BC said...

Yikes on the death trap! For what it's worth, that Fisher Price portable high chair is pretty cool. We just got one (we have an Ikea high chair without a tray that we've used until now) and it seems sturdy and safe, and it can be had for about $20 if you shop around. It is super easy to clean, too.

Count Mockula said...

We have a Fisher Price "space saver" high chair that we love, and Mom's going to replace the death trap with another one of those.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness that happened to me too.. Mom and I had left either Kelsey or Jacob in their car sear on top of her dining table strapped in and asleep and went to the basement when we heard a big boom. I don't think I ever ran so fast in my life. I don't even know how they rocked them selves to the edge of the table and then off. Supid me.................. I'm getting the payback now though hehe..