Saturday was almost all devoted to chores and household stuff. We did make time for lunch with Monkeygirl at the Shack. Naturally, the company was good. I was a little disappointed that they've taken the two vegetarian sandwiches off the menu, but they made me something yummy anyway. It was a nice lunch. Zadie was charming, chatting up the waitress, but also a terror, shrieking and turning the florescent sign on and off.
Today, Zadie woke us up at 5:45. We had brunch plans that got cancelled, so we went out for breakfast by ourselves. I asked Zadie whether she would prefer Cafe Bernardo or Fox and Goose, and she said "Cafe Bernardo." So we went there, parked, and started walking to the restaurant when she said forcefully "I WANT to go to Cafe Bernardo." I said "Good, me too." She said again "I WANT to go to Cafe Bernardo." I was like "Okay, well, we're walking there right now." Almost in tears, she insisted "I WANT to go to Cafe Bernardo." Finally, I asked "Honey, do you mean you DON'T want to go to Cafe Bernardo?" She nodded. I asked if she wanted to go to Fox and Goose instead, and she nodded again. Well, what the hell, I thought. We went back to the car and headed to Fox and Goose. About halfway there, in the same whiny tone, she started insisting "I WANT to go to Fox and Goose. I want to go to Cafe Bernardo." By this time, I could tell the subtle difference between "want" and "WANT" (which means "don't want"), but I was done with the fickle-ness. We had a nice meal at Fox and Goose.
Then we went to the farmer's market, where she was fine, and the park, where she had a nice time except that she got soaking wet and didn't really want to leave. At home, she fell asleep on my lap, which was a surprise (it was only 10:00). I had to go to the restroom really badly, so I held it as long as I could, then lifted her off my lap, waking her up. Since I have a really hard time getting to the gym on the weekends*, I decided to take her to the gym to swim, which she enjoys, but to walk there. It's about two miles away, so I got a little workout. She decided not to swim but to go into the kids' play area, and she had a great time -- well, until I was forced to climb up into the "space maze" to get her out. Twice.
Finally, we came home and I fed her lunch, then tried to get her to take a nap again. She just wouldn't, and although I was exhausted, she was determined not to let me sleep, either. I had some ugly thoughts for a few minutes and ended up letting Sweetie take care of her while I hid under a blanket for a while.
Then we went to dinner with Grandma, where she was pretty well-behaved. I bought her a new lamp and it's on a timer set to turn on at 6:45 on weekday mornings and 7:20 on the weekends. I told her she's not allowed to get out of bed until the light comes on, but that she can read books or play with toys until then. We'll see how it goes -- she's a pretty willful kid, frankly.
*On the weekdays, the gym is open until 10, so it's pretty easy to go after Z's asleep. But it closes at 8 on weekends. We have plans Sunday afternoons. She won't go in the child care center by herself. Sweetie has plans Sunday morning and can't watch her. Saturday morning is cleaning time. Saturday after naptime I usually go grocery shopping and make dinner. But I know i need more exercise than just two days a week, which is what I usually get if I can't go on the weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment