Okay, I admit, it's not as cold as that picture. In someplace like Illinois, this is probably picnic weather, but I am from Sacramento, California, and I am freezing! It's about 46 out right now and windy, and we had a low of about 28 degrees! That's really, really cold for here. I have to switch to my wool winter coat for real now. Everyone on campus is wandering around with their shoulders up at their ears and their arms hugging their torsos.
In other news, I sometimes don't read our local weekly, the Sacramento News and Review, when I'm busy. But this week I skimmed it, and I was reading the music column, which I often just browse for the names in bold print to see if I'm really interested or not. Well, I was barely looking at it, but noticed at the end it mentioned "Drago's," a cafe that hasn't existed since I was about a sophomore. I back up to read that a little, and find a reference to the cafe that came after it, Cafe Montreal, where I frequently saw bands years ago, including Cake (several times). I went there the night of Junior prom. I skim backwards a little further and further, until I discover that the yogurt shop with the cool "donations-only" shows has closed down. Sad, but then there at the beginning of the column is the news that the True Love cafe is opening again! In the building that Cafe Montreal used to occupy. The building that The Gynas had one of their first shows in! I'm excited, since it was always a cool venue (even if I didn't always feel cool enough for it), and I foresee some good shows coming out of that. Yay, and congratulations Kevin and Allyson Seconds for getting the True Love going again. Sacramento thanks you...
3 comments:
I was stoked to read that myself. I will never forget seeing a band called Flood at Cafe Montreal and then going home with the band it was a first groupie moment for me. It is ass cold too, how will Friday be on the home tour. Its time for the Julius scarf, hat and gloves! See you soon!
It's actuall colder in Sac than it is in NY. It was 59 today. I haven't gotten to wear my big coat yet.
I love that cool venues are still around. Some of them.
I think that picture might be Minnesota. Congrats on the NaNoWriMo award! Do you ever let others read your impressive output?
Post a Comment