Saturday, November 25, 2006

NaNoWriMo again

Hey. Well, I'm now over 43,000 words, and the Secret Service still hasn't even shown up! I was worried that I'd end it too soon, so I had a party escapade... Anyway, now with less than 7,000 words to go (or an average of 3 1/2 days' writing for me), I'm nowhere near the resolution. Which is interesting. My last two novellas ended right in the early 50,000s, like, I wrapped them up fairly shortly after I hit my goal. But maybe this one will run a little long. That's okay, too. I'm looking forward to it being done, though, because then I'll get back to the gym, maybe go to ballet a little more often, just have a little more time to myself (I know novel time is time to myself, but it's not the same).

Thanksgiving was nice. We went to my uncle's, and I was glad I'd had some toast, because almost everythings was meaty. There was turkey, ham, and beef, green bean casserole, jello salad thing, and even the mashed potatoes looked suspiciously brown (like, brothy brown). So I had some salad and some pie. It was fun to watch my husband and cousins play together, and to watch my cousins torment my little second cousins, who are sweet as the dickens. I also discovered (thanks, Uncle Mick!) Hershey's cherry cordials. Delish. Thanksgiving, indeed.

Yesterday I took my grandma to lunch, and she's a character. Maybe not as much as my friend Suzanne's, but a character nonetheless. For example, we went to Cafe Bernardo to eat. The menu said that breakfast was from 7-11 on weekdays, so we looked at the lunch menu and decided what we would have from there. But when we approached the counter, the young lady said that they were still serving brunch because it was a holiday weekend. I said "ooh, then I'll have the huevos rancheros!" Those and the French toast are my favorite things there. Oh, and the two egg breakfast. Mmm. Anyway, grandma says "Ohh, that sounds good. I'll have that, too!" So we take our tea and go sit down. When our plates come, grandma says they smell good, but looks skeptical and starts poking one of the eggs with her fork. "Is that an egg?" she asks. "Well, yeah. That's what 'huevos' means..." "Oh," she says, clearly disappointed and wrinkling her nose in disgust. She picks up both egg yolks, sets them on the side of her dish, and commences to eat. "Grandma," I ask "didn't you know what huevos rancheros was when you ordered it?" "No, I just trusted your taste." If she'd have just asked, I'd have told her to have the French toast. What a goof.

Yesterday evening I went to Tupelo to do some writing undisturbed (to clarify -- my husband doesn't disturb me, I do. I find other crap that needs my immediate attention and go do it instead of writing). Well, I've been having undisclosed girly problems again, which seems, the last few days anyway, to involve bloating and HORRIBLE gas. I had my earphones in, parked by a roasting machine away from everyone else and just let go whenever necessary. I hope no one had to hear them, but at least no one had to smell them. Sorry, Tupelo patrons!

Today I had lunch with my 4th grade best friend who lives in the Bay Area now. I was surprised and delighted to find out that she has reunited with her husband and is pregnant! Yay for babies with rockin' mommas!! Apparently it's a big baby already, but Erinn is tall and so is her husband, so duh. It's a boy. I'm super-excited for her.

Okay, I've actually done all 2,000 words today, but I think I might write a little more to ease the burden of the next few days.

Take care,
Mockula.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hurray for Thanksgiving and interesting grandmas! Glad that you are having a wonderful-sounding weekend.

Anonymous said...

I was very happy that I was in a vegetarian-friendly Thanksgiving. There was some grumbling, but recipes were changed to suit me and the 4 other veggos.

Count Mockula said...

Yeah, it's so funny, because on the Ironman side of the family, EVERYTHING but the turkey is vegetarian, so I'm a happy camper. But then on the Mockula side, it's like "Hmmm, can we sneak some bacon into the pie? Is there enough beef stock in the salad dressing?"