Hello all,
I'm crazy busy, as usual. Maybe more so than usual. I'm the sponsor for the "multi-cultural assembly," which kind of SOUNDED like it was going to require just supervision, not a lot of work. But I was wrong. There is basically no way to describe this all that doesn't include the word "clusterfuck," so I'll just give a few impressions:
The boys who play guitar never stop in two hours, no matter what else is going on. And worse, they don't seem to be aware that there are strings below the 12th fret on the top two strings.
The Philipino girls don't really need to "get used to the microphone." They're just stage hogs who want to sing while everyone waits for them.
One 4-minute "fashion show" practice in the first hour of TWO hours that I volunteered to hang out for after school for two days in a row? Assholes.
How cool that five other teachers agreed to help supervise. Wish any of them had showed up.
I thought if I said "sign up with the secretary," but then everybody signed up with me, I could just assume that that was how it went down around here. No, it turns out that there are now two separate (and wildly different) lists. And the secretary is pissed at me.
No, you can't have open flame. No, not if it's cultural. No, not after I said "no" once already. No, don't tell the Viet club that you "think it'll be okay."
Yes, you have to show up at practice.
No, you can't just randomly get excused from your class. You have to get permission from the teacher.
Dear Principal -- I would have been fine with the schedule change if you had suggested it more than 48 hours before-hand.
Dear everyone else -- I'm sorry the schedule changed. Yes I KNOW you made plans. Yes I KNOW this is inconvenient and last-minute. Yes, I'm sorry. But the principal is making me.
Hey, AV kids. Cut the fucking Metallica and clean up. It's time to go home.
Where's the hammer? Where are those bones we borrowed from the science department? What happened to our moon? Has anyone seen the broom? I'm sorry, drama class prop department; we have to start all over because people are ASSHOLES.
I'm already looking toward the next couple months in dread. I have assigned huge essays to be due every week for six weeks (that I need to correct and return). I have a computer class starting on Thursday nights. I agreed to chaperone the Physics trip. I agreed to go to Yosemite. I am chaperoning the IB banquet. This weekend is the CSF conference. The Aztec festival (and the play I'm putting on) is in two weeks. I can't even remember everything, but I suspect there's more. I was thinking of a river clean-up day for community service.
I've been planning to teach summer school, but if they don't call or something, I'm not going to follow up. This is a busy, difficult job. I kind of need my summertime. I'm feeling stressed.
Everyone's been saying maybe I'm not getting pregnant because I'm a stress case. Maybe it's true. Maybe this is a bad time. Maybe it being a bad time will be the kickstart an embryo needs. "Say, this chick's got a ton going on? Time to make it worse!"
2 comments:
I'm tired and frustrated just reading this.
i so empathize with you-people that aren't in it-don't get it-i hear, "well why are you still teaching, then?" teaching is not like real life-it's not logical-and everything is about last minute changes "because the principal said so". my name is maria, and i'm a recovering teacher, today i wanted time to correct essays so i put a movie on that didn't have anything to do with anything, i'm sorry california state standards for language arts, but i needed a break!
Post a Comment