Thursday, November 20, 2008

*Chirp*

*Chirp*

It is early Monday morning at 4 am, and I am hearing a sound definitely related to our alarm.

*Chirp*

I roll over. My husband is not in bed.

*Chirp*

I fall back asleep.




*Chirp*

It is Tuesday morning at 4 am. I hear the sound again. I hear my husband getting out of bed.

*Chirp*

I get up, too.

*Chirp*

It is coming from the end of the hall, but it's unclear whether it is coming from Zadie's room or Sweetie's office. Before I can figure it out, the chirping stops. Silence.

In the morning we discuss whether we should call the alarm company. The chirping seems to happen exactly at 4 am, when our heater is scheduled to come on. Perhaps it's detecting smoke? Carbon monoxide?




*Chirp*

It is Wednesday morning at 2 am. As I wake and check the time, I see that our heater theory is shot. Sweetie discovers that it is the smoke detector in Zadie's room. He takes the battery out when we realize it's the battery dying that causes the chirps. Problem solved. I purchase a new battery that afternoon and we replace it. We dust off our hands for a job well done.


*Chirp*

It is Thursday at 4 am. *Chirp* Sweetie gets up. *Chirp* Silence. He comes back to bed. It was the living room this time.

What I'd like to know is WHY, oh, why, god... must it be while we are sleeping. Seriously -- 4 days, three at 4 am, one at 2 am. Out of 24 hours in a day, wouldn't you expect our smoke detectors might start chirping while we're awake? What the hell?

And yes, in case you're wondering, I'm planning on buying a BUNCH of 9 volts and replacing them all.

3 comments:

Monkey Girl Crafts said...

For future reference they recommend changing the batteries when the time changes that way the chirping never happens. :-)

Christina said...

I HATE that it is *always* the middle of the night when this happens! Sorry you were chirped out of bed all week =(

Suzanne said...

If that is not one of Murphy's Laws, it should be.