California, I am so disappointed in you.
I wanted to live in a state that said no to discrimination, hate, and bigotry. I wanted to live in a state that believed in equality. I wanted to live in a state that recognized that all men are created equal. I wanted to live in a state that followed the Constitution regarding the separation of church and state.
But you said no. You wanted separation of church and state unless it's YOUR church. You want equality unless it's for something you don't like. You stood up en masse and said "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman and I don't care that it discriminates." You said you don't care about our fellow citizens and their love, their end-of-life issues, their property rights. You said fuck 'em.
This will be a longer fight than I hoped, but it is not over. Separate but equal didn't stand. The ban on interracial marriage didn't stand. This won't stand, either. Your hate can only do so much. Your bigotry can't trump the American ethos. Your discrimination will go the way of every other legalized discrimination in this country. But this morning, I am so disappointed.
4 comments:
I am so very disappointed in 52% of California voters. But you are right; this is not over. I'm also angry that I can't just be happy about Obama Day!
The results I saw this morning made me angry in the whole country. Not a single state passed anything relating to gay marriage.
California, you used to be cool man. You've changed.
I think we are all disappointed, but I was listening to NPR today & they said something that made me feel a little better; they said that just a few years ago there was a gap of over 22% against gay marriage, but now it's dwindling to probably less than 5%. I have hope that in a few years, we tolerant people will be the majority & equality will be won.
I think that the gay marriage bans (and Prop 4) are stopping me from truly savoring the rest of the excellent election. You hit it right on the head: people only want the state to leave them alone when it comes to them. Otherwise, the state should interfere to make families more like them. So evil.
Post a Comment