Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful x 3

Well, I'm truly thankful for a lot of things this year, including my house in a time that people are losing theirs, a job in a time that unemployment is high, food when some are hungry, etc.

But there are three people in particular who are the pillars of my life, and who deserve extra-special thanks this year.

First is my mom. I am lucky a thousand times over to have her in my life. I was thankful for her when she was just my mom, the woman who took me to dinner every Sunday, who periodically sprang for something we needed around the house, who listened to all my rants and goofball theories, who knew just what I needed and when I needed it. But now she is my child's grandma and caregiver, and pretty much makes our life possible. Like, at all. But not only does she watch the baby five days a week (for free), not only does she provide her with everything she needs, she also teaches her, shows her the world, engages her, loves her, plays with her... She goes so far beyond care and nurturing that I'm not sure there's a word for it. And best of all? She always lets me be the mom, even though she sometimes spends more waking hours with Zadie than I do. I just can't express how wonderful she is or how lucky I am. I mean, to have a mom who is living, close, willing, and caring is so much more than most people have. I thank whoever there is to thank. Mostly my mom.

Second is my husband, Sweetie. It's amazing how the birth of a child can turn a man into a dad. He is regularly puked on, farted near, shrieked at, grabbed at, and cried on, and he takes it all in stride (well, all but pooping). He gets us up every morning and plays with her, and while I put my makeup on, I hear him singing to her and telling her stories. Today he was dancing with her (to Slayer). He has new nicknames for her every day. He delights in tickling her. Also, he has picked up my slack around the house since I now spend more time taking care of her. He is a great dad and a great husband, and I'm so lucky to have him.

And Zadie. She's brand-new this year. Isn't that amazing? There's a person in my life whom I didn't even know nine months ago, and now I couldn't live without her. She is just a baby, yet she shows me that she is brave, clever, smart, stubborn, funny, loving, curious, and affectionate. She shimmies backwards off the couch and bed. She sits and eats Cheerios. She kisses the baby in her book. She climbs all over me. She chases her ball. She tries to eat power cords. She says "La la la" and "Odwalla." She bounces when music comes on. She attempts to destroy the stereo. She likes kiwi. She recovers quickly from setbacks like falling down. She can move around the living room by standing and shuffling between the coffee table, couch, and chair. She's just amazing. I'm so thankful for her.

I'm multiply, multiply blessed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, and I hope you have as much to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I am thankful to know your wonderful family, and even though it is from quite a distance, appreciative of the friendship that we can have due to the internet. I cannot wait to see you in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

I'M THANKFUL YOU ARE ALL IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!! LOVES FOREVER AUNTIE M