Last night Zadie said "Mommy, hang out with you?"
She often will trade off counting to ten with us. Today Sweetie tried to start it by saying "One" and she answered "twothreefourfivesixseven!"
I think six words is her longest sentence. That was "Mommy, sing 'oh the water' song." (That would be Van Morrison's "And it Stoned Me."
She sang along with the Talking Heads today. I couldn't be more proud. It was "Take me to the river."
Today she pointed at the name on our neighbors' Volvo and pointed at the first two letters, saying "V-O, V-O." (I had told her it was an O, but she apparently recognized the V.)
Last night at Maalouf's, she was really at her most charming, and she tried to say everything we or the Maaloufs asked her to, including "Habibi." (I have no idea what that means.) But for some reason, she got stuck on telling everyone that "Mommy's a woman." In fact, for a while, it was all she would say, and she wasn't using her indoor voice, either. "MOMMY'S A WOMAN!"
I hope Grandma doesn't mind me telling this story, but I got the biggest laugh out of it (and a lesson, to boot). I guess they were at the park, and Zadie wandered away from where all the people were. Grandma, suffering the same affliction I do (terrible gas), used the opportunity to let one go. Whereupon Zadie ran back to where all the people were yelling "Grandma toot! Grandma TOOOOOOT!!"
Also, I emailed this to myself the other day since I can no longer blog at work:
Zadie has crossed some invisible line between "very verbal" and total chatterbox. This morning from the time she woke up until we settled on the couch to nurse, she was having a conversation with me.
"Change diaper. Pee-pee. Jammies off. I'm cold. Clothes on. Shirt on. Daddy cold?"
We went into the kitchen and she saw the fridge magnets.
"Who's that?"
"The Mad Hatter."
"Hold it! Baby carry. He's upside-down. Who's that?"
"It's the Mad Hatter. Alice in Wonderland goes to his party and they drink tea."
"Iced tea? Baby drink tea. Mommy sing Alice song. Yay!"
I start preparing breakfast.
"Baby drink coffee. Baby eat oatmeal. Raisins."
We go to the couch.
"More booby! Other one!"
I'm sure in a few years it'll drive me crazy, but for now, I just love hearing her get to know her world.
2 comments:
habibi means my beloved. :-)
I used to love picking you up from school and being asked, half way home, if you were talking too much.
Hell no!
BowSaw62
Post a Comment