Wowza, have I been busy (and I'm not done yet)! On Friday, I knew we had a busy Saturday planned, so I got take-out (from Thai Palace, which is only decent, but has the benefit of being close). We had pad thai, fried rice, spring rolls, and tom kha (which was excellent). Then I did my usual Saturday morning cleaning (which is mostly just putting my own and the baby's crap away, but also involves laundry). Next, I made a shopping list and went grocery shopping. I got home and put the baby to bed, then started getting food ready for the next day's activities. I got a recipe out of the paper for a sweet potato salad that sounded good, and I made it, and I also marinated some tofu. Finally, I hit the sack.
On Saturday, we woke up at 6:30, made a pot of coffee, and started getting ready for a multi-family yard sale. Almost all we had to sell were books, but in the first hour or so of the sale, we were the only ones who sold anything. In fact, we'd made fifty bucks by about 9, when everyone else hadn't made anything! Z and I walked to the store and bought bagels and cream cheese and set up the toaster in our front yard, so everyone else came over and ate bagels with us. Sales slowed down after that, but there was one guy who bought a TON of Sweetie's gaming books. I personally exercised restraint in not purchasing chaps or a wetsuit from my neighbors.
Then at 11:30, I got the baby set to go to Grandma's and we left. I dropped Z off and went to Deeda salon to get my hair cut and colored. I loved (no, I mean LOVED) my old stylist, but she was sort of slow, so I'm getting used to my new stylist, and I appreciate getting out in two hours. Anyway, I went a little lighter and feel a LOT better, like my skin looks brighter and everything. I like other colors on me, and I know my natural color is somewhere on the brown scale, but I still feel blonde.
When we got back, everyone had cleaned up the yard sale offerings and we were on to the "block party" part of the day. My neighbors had set up several tables and chairs and a grill in their yard, and we all commenced to take food over. We ate sausages (Tofurkey for me), tofu, homemade bread, spinach dip, chips and salsa and guacamole, several kinds of salad (my sweet potato salad won accolades), and finally cookies. We also caught up on the neighborhood gossip, the most interesting piece of which was (for me) that our crazy-lawn-lady neighbor who defaulted on her mortgage has been LIVING NEXT DOOR to her old house the entire time! The woman we used to see outside every morning obsessing over her yard has been parking in the garage and coming and going on the sly. Weird. Really weird.
At about 5:30, I went inside to change clothes and change the baby (who was covered in watermelon juice), and shortly thereafter Monkeygirl came by so we could go to poker night together. We loaded up our jalapeno poppers (so hot i could barely eat them!), stopped and bought a pie, then headed to D and S's house. Two or three times a year, we go over there to play poker (none of us are very good, but at least S remembers the rules and etiquette -- the rest of us have to consult cheat sheets to determine whether a straight is better than a full house). We always have great food and great conversations and games, but we have sometimes complained about the musical selections, as our tastes cal be very different. To alleviate this and make a game of it, S sent us all an email asking for our "Desert Island Discs," and he made a playlist of them. Then he created a spreadsheet so we could guess whose song was whose and keep track. It ended up being SO fun! I got two of my own wrong, unbelievably (I put "Redemption Song" as Sweetie's, when it was mine, and thought the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" was mine, when it was actually Monkeygirl's!). We also had some hints, such as when someone mentioned a Linda Ronstadt song on the list and D said "It's the most beautiful song in the WORLD!" We also intentionally confused each other, as when three of us all sang along to a song none of us had chosen. The tricky ones were ones like Joni Mitchell -- S and I are both huge fans. And there were two Nirvanas and two Talking Heads. How do you choose whether someone is more "And She Was" or more ''Take Me to the River?"
D is the sweetest hostess: she bought a set of blocks so Zadie would have something to play with at her house that was different than her toys at home. How thoughtful, right?
Today I'm taking it easy -- finishing laundry, making lunches, and not much else. I haven't even read the paper.
Z can really communicate now. On Friday I got home and she ran to the door to meet me. "Mama! Broke! I broke it!" "What did you break, honey?" "Necklace." I walked with her into the living room and asked Sweetie "Did she really break a necklace of mine?" He pointed to a plastic bracelet, its beads sitting unstrung on the coffee table. I turned back to her. "That's okay Sweetie. Mommy doesn't mind. Thank you for telling me." She said "I'm sorry."
According to my mom, they went to their first Spanish for toddlers class on Thursday. Zadie was wandering around, not paying much attention, but then the teacher started using props. Here's Mom's email: "Zadie did crack everyone up repeatedly because she kept shouting out instructions to Jackie, the teacher. When she got out an illustrated board and held it up, Zadie yelled out "put it down." Then when she brought a bin filled with things, Zadie shouted "open it." She pretty much did it every time Jackie brought anything new out. Then during "Itsy Bitsy Spider," Z walked over and plopped down in Jackie's lap."
Right now, she's on amoxicillin for an ear infection. I asked Mom to take Z to the doctor if she heard more wheezing (which Sweetie and I noticed in the middle of the night one night). She did, so they got in to the doctor on Wednesday. The doctor found the ear infection (which I hadn't even suspected) and gave her an inhaler for the wheezing, which Zadie was not doing at the appointment. She also hasn't wheezed since then, so I think it's no big deal, but I'm glad we have the inhaler now just in case.
Okay, Z is asleep on my lap, so I'm going to check on my sweet potatoes and probably lay down myself.
1 comment:
Do you ever take Zadie to Thai Palace (as opposed to just getting takeout)? We had not been there in years, but we went last month and I now pronounce it to be the most baby-friendly restaurant in town. The owner (? older man who seems to run the place) loves kids ... he kept bringing Penny special treats from the kitchen, all of which she loved, particularly the ice cream at the end. He also chatted with her and kept her entertained during a fairly long meal. It's not our favorite Thai food, either, but is now at the top of our list for Thai food outings with Penny.
Post a Comment