There's not too much to report. School is going well. The IB classes are apparently quite freaked out about how hard my class is, which is odd, I think. But I guess they're having grade freak-outs. I have one girl who's never had a B before, and she keeps asking me how she could improve it and get it to an A. Well, I've given her some hints, but the truth is, an A is very difficult to achieve in such a class -- there's no coasting anymore. And colleges appreciate that IB classes are rigorous and know that a B here equals an A in another class. In fact, they even factor it into your GPA. But some students would rather get an easy A in a class that doesn't challenge them. I like these kids, but I don't like that attitude.
We went to Second Saturday last night. I love taking Zadie -- we got to see about five live bands, a performance by members of the Sacramento ballet, several art galleries, and a parade. There's an area where crafters gather, and I took Zadie over and was fussing over some pretty jewelry. The woman whose table it was said "I have children's bracelets." They were only a dollar, and I wanted one for Zadie, but didn't have any cash. I told her I didn't, and that I'd even given my change away this week (my kids were selling papers to benefit Shriner's hospital, and they were also collecting funds for Unicef, so while I'd usually have a buck in change, I didn't). I also asked whether she'd be there next month. But Zadie had been flirting with her, and she insisted we take one. So we got a free bracelet! Which totally made up for being called an asshole when a guy turned left in front of me without signaling (and no, I'm not sure how that makes ME the asshole).
Zadie's feeling better than she was earlier in the week, although she still has a stuffy/runny nose. My favorite moment this week was when I used the snot-sucker (bulb aspirator) on her. She HATED it, and was crying. I said to her imploringly "But Zadie, we got lots of yucky snot out of your nose." She replied very firmly, "Put it back!"
Oddly, last night all of a sudden I wasn't feeling well. I rarely get sick, but I definitely knew something was off in the gastrointestinal department. I waited with a magazine for something bad to happen, then finally threw up. I hate throwing up, so I was initially still a little crabby and grossed out, but I went to bed, and when I woke up a few hours later, I took stock and discovered that I felt just fine -- 100 percent better in fact. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have eaten the hummus that sat out at a potluck for several hours. I think my body just decided to get rid of that, though, and then everything was fine.
Sunday mornings are lovely. Sweetie made coffee and I made waffles. Z got covered in jam. I am reading the paper and she has fallen asleep nursing after taking a shower with her daddy. Later, we'll plant our winter veggie garden (I picked up broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and onions at Tallini's nursery). Then it's dinner with Mom.
By the way, I don't usually talk about TV on here, but there are a few shows I follow. I recently caught the first episode of "Community" and I laughed so hard I was afraid I'd wake the baby. Since then, I haven't seen it on TV (it's apparently on Thursday nights), but they have full episodes on the NBC web site. I've watched every one so far, and I still keep cracking up. The last episode makes fun of a hacky-sack-playing hippie who'll take his shirt of at the drop of a hat, and there's a part where a woman gets him to take his shirt off so she can make fun of his tiny nipples... maybe you had to be there. Anyway, if you're looking for a new show, I highly recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment