Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My all-by-myself grown-up day!

One thing about having kids, and I supposed this may not be true for everyone, but it is for me, is that I am almost never alone. And being alone is refreshing, particularly if your alone time isn't filled up with stuff you have to do.

So yesterday, Grandma and Boompah took Z from about 10:40 to almost 4. And I? You must be wondering how I chose to spend my day.

Ah.

Well, first I went to a vintage shop I'd read about but hadn't been in. I was worried that I was wasting part of my precious time, because so many stores seem to think "vintage" means ironic kitten tee-shirts from the early 90s. That's not what I want. I like the occasional freaky 70s polyester thing, but my preferred sartorial choice is always a 50s or 60s cotton shirtwaist dress. In extra-large. Yeah, guess how easy those are to find.

But find them I did, and in sherbety colors, and two for only $27! Score!

Then I went to Magpie Cafe for lunch. People have been raving about it for as long as it's been open, but it isn't open on Sundays, which is when Mom and I go try new restaurants, so it's pretty much been off my list of possibilities. But not on alone day! I love a good sandwich, and two on their menu looked great, but I was actually making a muffuleta for dinner, so I opted for the salad sampler. It was great. No wonder people rave about this place. The textures, the flavors, and the cooking were all to perfection. I sat outside in the sun with an iced tea and wrote a little.

Then I headed home, eschewed the lure of the internet, and took a long, long nap. Is that what I'd do if the world were ending or something? Surely not, but naps are about as rare as alone time around here, and I wanted one. I woke up refreshed and went to pick up Z.

IMG_3525
Sherbety dress one.

IMG_3528
Sherbety dress two.

IMG_1725
Salad sampler.

No pictures of nap, sorry.

No comments: