My neighbors are awesome. I mean, our neighborhood would be nice just geographically, but I have the pleasure of living near some of the most neighborly neighbors since Mayberry. With considerably more booze.
Anyway, a family from our street recently moved away, and a new couple bought their place. We were all skeptical, especially when they made the old neighbors re-home the koi in the koi pond because of some sort of fish-phobia. Fish-phobia? Right. We were concerned.
But I wanted to welcome them, so we invited the folks on the street over to our driveway for a potluck. Yesterday was incredibly, blazingly hot, but after 6, our driveway is in shade, at least. We had plenty of cold drinks and many lovely dishes (I made a grilled sweet potato salad that was marvelous, some margherita pizzas, and ice cream sandwiches), and lots of people came over. I had Sweetie drag Z's tiny baby pool over, and within minutes, we had three naked toddlers trying to fit into a 3 square foot wedge. Another neighbor dragged over a bigger baby pool, and then it was a little less comical (but not much).
It was a lovely evening, especially as the sun set and it cooled off some. (By 9 it was only about 80, and it felt great in comparison.) Today Z and I met my friend and her almost-one-year-old son at the farmer's market. She's pregnant with her second, and it's a cliche to say that pregnant women are glowing, but she looks awesome. I made a funny -- she and her husband called their son "Lucky" while he was in utero. It took them a LONG time to come up with a real name, so Lucky was his name up until birth, really. I asked if they had a nickname for the new baby yet, and she blushed and admitted they didn't have anything. I suggested Not-Quite-as-Lucky. I think I really cracked her up.
Later, I made a blackberry pie to take to Dad's. I screwed up the crust a bit, but it actually still tasted quite good. We went to my dad's house for a couple hours for a cookout/pool party for the fourth, and it's always lovely to see everyone, particularly my cousins. I grew up being pretty close to them, and now I only see them a few times a year. I know you're under no obligation to actually like your family, but I happen to. Plus, swimming on a hot day is boss.
We saw my mom for our usual Sunday dinner, tonight at Dos Coyotes, and now we're doing not much of anything at home. We surveyed our garden and found many wonderful things which I will share with you soon.
And now I hear calls for "Mama Bear," so off I go.
No comments:
Post a Comment