Okay, I guess there's not much to report. I've been awfully busy lately, and I'm ready for a break. I'm not quite done with my Christmas shopping, which is giving me hives, but there are a few people I'm just really stumped about. I also still have to do all my baking and stuff. I foresee a Wing Wa trip, a Sam's Club trip, a Trader Joe's trip, a night of wrapping, probably two days of coooking/baking, and at least a day of cleaning (never mind trying to work out and grade my Freshmen's papers and projects) in the next four days or so.
I saw Ocean's 11 and the Bourne Supremacy last week. I actually liked them both. Ocean's 11 had a lot more humor and charisma than I was expecting, and I liked the fact that the heist stuff went by at a very rapid pace, rather than spelling out every little detail of the plan, which would have bored me. The Bourne Supremacy was good, more of the same from the Bourne Identity, basically, which I also liked. I was sad that . . . SPOILER ALERT . . . they killed the Franka Potente character off in the first five minutes, because I really like her, but it was a good motivation for him in the rest of the movie. I'm looking forward to getting my Christmas movies this week, not that I'll have time to watch them, but I've got Millions and Comfort and Joy next in my Netflix queue.
I went to my staff party Friday afternoon/evening. It was nice, a good chance to chat with people I usually only nod at from across the hallways. My mom was kind enough to make me a casserole and some cookies to take, which is probably like cheating on my part, but it worked for me! Thanks, mom! I tried to leave early so Sweetie and I could eat Lebanese food, but there was a debacle. Long story short, a girl from work needed a ride, and two hours later, I was home.
Saturday morning was a tree planting that I somehow got upgraded from volunteer-rounder-upper to project-manager for. It went really quickly though, and we got 60 trees in the ground in two and a half hours. It was cool, and now every time I see those trees in the parking lot, I'll be like "I planted those!" I actually worked my ass off, too, digging most of two holes, pounding in six stakes, removing three trees from their pots, placing two, staking and tying several, and cleaning up the parking lot after. Unbelievably, I didn't hurt myself (well, I jammed my already-twisted ankle a couple times), because I've been on a real roll lately, but I hurt myself today doing absolutely nothing. There was a puddle of water in the garage that I didn't see, I slipped in it, my foot turned upside-down, and now my big toe is all swollen and I may have pulled a leg muscle.
Last night was Sweetie's staff party, which was fun. The hostess has her house painted in colors remarkably similar to the ones in our house. We even have the same dishtowels! I had a nice time getting to talk to Sweetie's co-workers, too, whom I barely said hello to at our reception because I was running around so much. There are a number of them who are around my age and who are all decent conversastionalists. Actually, I had a great time talking to the host, too, about music -- we talked for quite a while, and he lent me a CD. We had a good time all around. And the rumour regarding the deliciousness of the stuffed mushrooms is absolutely substantiated.
Today was quieter. It's my dad's birthday, but he called and begged off our dinner plans in order to stay in his jammies, so I just took him his present. He seemed pleased, I hope he really is. He used to make stained glass -- really beautiful pieces that are all over my home. They're some of my most precious posessions. But he hasn't made any in twenty years. Well, he is closer to retirement now, and has built himself a big workshop at the back of his yard, so I figured it's about time to get him back into the hobby he was so good at. I got him a new glass cutter, a couple pattern books, a breaker thing, and several pieces of glass. He did seem happy. I hope he enjoys it. I don't want it to be like "Happy Birthday, here's an assignment," you know? Okay, that's about it for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment