Friday, December 23, 2005

Oh lord, Mockula's reflecting.

Yeah, well. At the end of the year, even though all it really means is that it's time to buy a new calendar, it's hard to avoid some amount of thinking.

The year started off a little shaky. My purse was stolen from work. Our house got robbed and then my car was stolen. Piggs' dad had to have bypass surgery. My drama club turned out to be a bit of a bust. But then things turned around. None of those things seemed to be too dramatic -- we got our money back for the stuff we lost (although minus some irreplaceable files), I got my car back (with a dent). I even got a new job! And one tough day when I was crying, Piggs tried to make me stop -- by asking me to marry him. I said yes, and made sure he knows that only works once.

We got married in July, I started my new job in September, Mom and I spent months painting and flooring the house this year (we're not done yet, but we've made a lot of progress), everything's been a bit of a whirlwind. Among the interesting developments this year has been the whole MySpace phenomenon. I've gotten back in touch with so many old friends this year, including two (yes, two), I went to elementary school with. I had coffee with a friend from high school, and wondered why I hadn't spent more time with him over the years, since she was moving up north that week! I had two great lunch dates with my 4th grade best friend and hope to have more. I found out that an old friend and I had followed strangely similar paths in life. I was relieved and happy to find that an old high school friend was happily married and starting her own business.

Of course, the friends I've had for years and kept in touch with have had great news this year as well. Monkeygirl is almost done with law school and has a position (at a place she likes) for when she graduates. She also has the most adorable kitten! Gynagirl has gotten promotion after promotion, but even better, she figured out what she wants to do, which is travel around Europe before moving to New York. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that now she's made her decision, she'll make it work. Sora graduated with a degree in Anthropology! We all attended her graduation in the spring and I couldn't be more proud if I'd done it myself. G3 finally got on permanently with Intel, and he and Sora just got a great apartment and seem to be enjoying their first chance (ever) to live together, alone. My old friend Beep and his wife just had a beautiful baby girl. My somewhat less old friends (almost 6 years, though, wow!) C&C (the music factory) had a beautiful girl as well. My cousin and his wife had a gorgeous and handsome boy, and after some initial worries, he is healthy and strong and sure to continue to be.

My brand-new family is doing well. I have never seen a better-looking bunch of kids in my life. We were thrilled that not only were they able to come down for our reception, we got to see them at Thanksgiving as well. Joining the Piggs family this year was one of my greatest gifts.

I'm turning 30 in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll have more to say on that when the time comes, but let's face it, I understand where Gynagirl was coming from. It's that whole "Logan's Run," "Don't trust anyone over 30" thing. It may not be anything but a number, but it's a pretty significant number. And round.

I'm sure there's more to say, but it's lunchtime and the kids have invited me to eat with them, so I'm going. Take care, all, and if I don't say so to you in person, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Joyful Solstice, Rockin' Kwanzaa, or Nice Restful Athiest Sunday. Whatever. I'm pro-inclusion!

8 comments:

monkeygirl said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. However I will just add a few things- if at all possible you were more happy this year then I have ever seen you be (in part Piggs' doing). Who cares about 30- isn't it the new 20? You have great hair, a new tattoo, and major plans in the works for 06'! So full speed ahead I say, plus I won't tell anyone if you want to be 29 for another year...

Count Mockula said...

Well, I won't delete Monkeygirl's comment for Mom-inappropriate content. It's true. It's a very lovely tattoo and I'm happy I got it and it's meaningful and I'll show you if you want. Sorry, I know you hate them, but I don't share those feelings at all. I think they're beautiful works of art (or can be), and this one in particular. My friend Char did it, and I've always considered her an artist of the highest order. Now she just happens to do her art on skin instead of paper.

Plus, I'm going to hope I can tell you in person before you read it digitally, but que sera, sera.

And Monkeygirl, you're right. I was exceptionally happy this year. I even wondered a couple times whether my hormones were out of whack somehow, because I have hardly cried at all this year, and I can be a bit of a waterworks.

monkeygirl said...

Sorry I forgot about MM- if you want to delete you can!
BTW- I don't hate them I like them when someone gets one for a reason, I just hate the no point just because everyone else has them tattoos...

Count Mockula said...

Oh, that bit was really to mom. I know you don't hate them. Mom, on the other hand . . .

Anonymous said...

Too late, I read about it here first. My one question is, where exactly is it. Do I need to warn Boompah before tomorrow? MM

Count Mockula said...

No, I've had it for six weeks and you haven't seen it. It's on my tummy. Pretty much nobody but Piggs and I get to see it.

Anonymous said...

I love having you in my family too. Great e-card too. Tell piggs our cousin b. is expecting their first baby.......if he didn't already hear. Love ya lots,

middle sis....

gynagirl said...

You can always tell your mom what everyone in my family tells their parents.... "At least I don't have as many (tattoos) as Gynagirl." It seems to work.