Thursday, February 17, 2005
Fitness Assessments for COUNT MOCKULA
Yeah, I went to this fitness assessment and bodyfat test thing today. You get a discount at the gym I joined if you do. I admit to being nervous and not really looking forward to it, because basically, I know I'm fat, and I was spending an entire evening and $15 to have someone tell me I was fat. Fun, huh? But it actually didn't go all that badly. They tested bodyfat (and I must be psychic, because as it turns out, I'm fat), but also grip strength, resting heart rate and recovering heart rate, number of curls and pushups you can do, maximum bench press and leg press, and flexibility. It all played out kind of like I thought it would, with my flexibility being super-high (99th percentile!) and my upper body strength being embarassingly low. But overall, I was a 66 on a scale of 1 - 100, based on people of my gender and age. I had 4 categories that fell into the excellent range, flexibility, pushups, grip strength (thank you, bass playing) and resting heart rate. Two more fell into the above average range, the recovering heart rate and the curls. My only real surprise was the leg press. I've always felt that I had quite strong legs, but my max leg press was only average at 230 lbs. The other interesting piece of info didn't surprise me either, but confirmed my suspicions --- I've always felt that (even though I know I have too much fat) I have quite a bit of muscle mass, and that I'm not really comfortable at the low end of the recommended weight range for my height. In fact, I feel most healthy and comfortable just above the high end. And I discovered the reason why today; most people who are 5'6" have between 86 and 102 pounds of lean muscle mass (your total weight minus the fat), whereas I have 114.4. So, cool. It wasn't all bad news. And the best news of all is that I'm working to change it -- particularly those average and below average scores. Oh yeah, and I'm gonna find that 1% of the population who's more flexible than I am and whoop her gumby ass.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment