First of all, Too Short and 2 Live Crew are playing Friday about 6 blocks from my house. No shit. I'm almost tempted to go, but I'm vaguely afraid of getting my ass kicked.
But on to the Grammys. You know, of all the winners, I've only even heard a few -- Green Day and U2 among them. And I'm not even that crazy about the U2 song.
Here's the whole list. Among the other winners I'd heard at all were Velvet Revolver and Brian Wilson. Now, of course I've heard Prince and Ray Charles and Wilco and so on, but these albums or songs? Not really. I haven't even heard the Motorhead album that won. Actually I know the Kanye West song "Jesus Walks" better than any Wilco song, because it was on MTV one day and the video was really compelling (actually, the song was, too). Does that make me hopelessly out of the loop? I'd say no. What about the Grammys . . . are they? Yeah, a bit. I mean, they're not out of their own insular top 40 loop, they're smack dab in the middle of that loop, but do they reflect everything that's going on musically? As the newspaper columnist reported today, by choosing Maroon 5, a saccharine pop band who didn't even release their album last year, as the best new artist, they continue to stick with whatever's safe.
I watched Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban last night. It was alright. It was one of those instances, I'm afraid, where I knew the book too well and didn't think the film really could live up to it. Plus, maybe I've gotten too used to good DVD extras, but these were lame. I've rented "The Terminal," and plan to watch that as soon as I finish blogging, so I'll let you know how it was. I debated between those two and "Napoleon Dynamite" and "Hero," at the video store. I feel like I'm getting a little behind on my movie watching, and I really need to keep up. By the way, just in case I forgot to tell you two weeks ago, "Million Dollar Baby" was easily the best movie I've seen all year, Swank should win best actress, Eastwood should win best director, Freeman should win supporting actor, and you should go see it. That's all.
Mockula, enjoying her day off (for President Lincoln, not Saint Valentine) wishes you well.
1 comment:
I haven't heard the new Wilco album. I really really really really really like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot though. And while there's some stand-out tracks, and some mediocre ones, the album itself works really well together.
Post a Comment