Monday, February 21, 2005

Must . . . shake . . . booty

My booty has a mind of its own. I can be in line at Jamba Juice, and some horrible old song will come on, and independently of me, my booty will begin to shake. I can't help it. Let's call me hyper-rythmically oriented or something. Then its a disability. Anyway, I was thinking of creating a booty-shaking playlist for the gym, and then I thought it might be fun to make it up entirely of songs that I would be somewhat embarassed to admit I was shaking my booty to. I came up with:

Kelis -- Milkshake
2 Live Crew -- Me So Horny
Princess Superstar -- Do it Like a Robot
C&C Music Factory -- Everybody Dance Now
Ace of Base -- The Sign
*Culture Club -- Karma Chameleon
*The Cure -- Why Can't I Be You?
Dee Lite -- Groove is in the Heart
*Depeche Mode -- Just Can't Get Enough
Devo -- Whip It
*Divinyls -- I Touch Myself
*English Best -- Mirror in the Bathroom
Easy E -- Easy Duz It
Falco -- Rock Me Amadeaus
Fatboy Slim -- The Rockafeller Skank
*Garbage -- Push It
*Go Go's -- We Got the Beat
*Gorillaz -- Rock the House
*Hot Chocolate -- You Sexy Thing
*Human League -- Don't You Want Me
Information Society -- Mirrorshades
*INXS -- New Sensation
*Kajagoogoo -- Too Shy
LA Style -- James Brown is Dead
*Madness -- Our House
*Softcell -- Tainted Love
*Men Without Hats -- Safety Dance
Moby -- Jam For the Ladies
*Naked Eyes -- Always Something There to Remind Me
*No Doubt -- Spiderwebs
*Oingo Boingo -- Dead Man's Party
Peaches -- Shake Yer Dix
*Prince -- Let's Go Crazy
Prince -- Kiss
Right Said Fred -- I'm Too Sexy
*Romantics -- Talking in Your Sleep
*Roxette -- The Look
Salt-N-Pepa -- Push It
Shaggy -- O Carolina
Sir-Mix-A-Lot -- Baby Got Back
*Smashmouth -- All Star
*Squeeze -- Tempted
*Tears for Fears -- Mad World
*The Thompson Twins -- Doctor! Doctor!
Tone Loc -- Wild Thing
*Toni Basil -- Mickey
*Yazoo -- Walk Away From Love

I initially culled the list a little, taking off artists like the Beastie Boys, Bjork, David Bowie The Eurythmics, and Duran Duran, knowing that I wouldn't ever really be embarassed to admit I liked any of those artists. Some more will probably drop off the list for the same reason, like Depeche Mode, Oingo Boingo, and possibly Moby and Fatboy Slim. Also, the stuff like Tone Loc, Easy E, and 2 Live Crew would probably earn me not embarassment, but respect in certain circles. Nevertheless, they're staying because I can definitely say they would cause me embarassment in some other circles. I also took off some of the disco, like the Village People and Gloria Gaynor because they were just too obvious. That will also likely be the fate of Hot Chocolate. I'm reconsidering a lot of the New Wave, partly because it really seems to have taken over the list, and partly because I really am not all that embarassed to admit I still listen to the stuff that rocked my world twenty years ago. I suppose I could just leave everything I chose originally, because a playlist can be as long as you like, but I was thinking I might burn a CD foro Monkeygirl, who I whink might enjoy an embarrassing booty-shaking CD. So it has to be under a certain time limit. I'm currently removing anything that doesn't have a fast enough beat to actually rock my booty off. The Yaz, the Smashmouth, and the Roxette are probably going in this round.

Okay, a few minutes later, and if you look at the list, everything with an asterisk got axed, mostly because of the new wave conundrum, but partly because there was such a restricted time (80 minutes) that a song had to absolutely rock my booty off to stay on the list. No "I have a booty-shaking choice" music, only music that made my booty shake involuntarily. Monkeygirl, whaddya say, want a copy?

7 comments:

Piggs said...

I have witnessed the condition I call involuntary booty-shake. However, quickly it turns into a voluntary motion when she realizes what's going on.

A shame you can't get the lebanese "shake your booty" song that Maaloufs seems to always play.

Unknown said...

What's embarrasing about Gorillaz? And Peaches is already passe?

Count Mockula said...

Well, that's why Gorillaz got taken off the final list. They were added initially just because of their booty-shaking properties. Peaches is embarassing to some people -- Piggs HATES her with a passion.

monkeygirl said...

I would LOVE a cs! I too suffer from this affliction, and I am absolutely rhythmically challenged (despite my latin background), however, I have never let that stop me before!

Piggs said...

I admit I am a hater. Peaches sets my teeth on edge and makes me want to punch the cd player. Though I did buy a peaches song for a playlist I gave to Mockula. I felt dirty afterward.

Unknown said...

All I can say is that people love Peaches where I'm at. Especially "Fuck The Pain Away."

Alicia Patrice said...

i give a big thumbs up to peaches too.

and i've been known to fall a victim to the involuntary booty shake myself.

yay!